Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec v6 to vr

Reggieb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Wagon
Help with VS to VR engine swap

howdy everyone, I,m dropping an ecotec v6 into a vr wagon can anyone tell me some of the pitfalls i'm likley to come up against,:)

Last edited:

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
If you cannot DIY the wiring changes, expect to pay $500-1000 for an auto sparky to do it (it's not plug & play like a V8 conversion), and this is on top of around $600+ for the motor, and another $500+ for a gearbox (your VR box won't work with the VS computer).

There's other changes like the alternator, power steering lines, fan/radiator, BCM (controls low-speed of the VS fan).

Then you also need to factor in your time, fuel, and labour to do all this chopping & changing, and chasing stuff from everywhere.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Nice work TheForgotten. Sounds like youve done this b4.

nsladden

GET UTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Holden VP Ute S 5.0L & 1989 Holden VN 5sp Wag
Why dont you just trade it in for a VS wagon. That would be alot easier.

Reggieb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Wagon
thanks guys i'm fitting the engine & trans complete, i've bought a wrecked low k vs acclaim and i've got 10years exp as a gm tech(6 years ago}just thought someone may have attempted this feat,and i do mean feat,i've got the unit sitting in the chassis,allready experienced therear trans mount difference,Lh engine mount/aircond compressor difference. i have been at it 2 full days and 3 nights and i wished i hadn't taken on the job ,but i'll see it through and list all the mod when i'm finished

nsladden

GET UTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Holden VP Ute S 5.0L & 1989 Holden VN 5sp Wag
Goodluck with it!!