Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car problem VR EXecutive '94' Turns off for no reason...HELP

Dragz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Hey guys and gals i have a problem with my baby...she runs very good untill this happens....i drive and outa nowhere it goes off...and i was searching threw this thread and found the code checking thread and i did a check and i got thease 2 [ Code 46 - No Refference signal while cranking]- waht it mean please help me and i got this one [ Code 47 - 18x reference signal missing]- and what it mean....im really getting frustrated as i am affraid to drive the damn thing =( oh and i got this of another place so can annyone tell me if it could be this [The problem is corrosion (probably not visible) between the plug and socket connector pins. The plug and socket are held together by a bolt in the middle (~6mm), undo this, pull the two apart and work them in and out a few times, then squirt good quality WD40 etc in before reassembling. This is a much more long-lasting fix. The basic problem is that the pins should be gold plated to prevent corrosion but they aren't to cut 10c off the production price for Holden. The WD makes an oil film to keep oxygen out.]

and the mechanic i took it to said that it could be the sensor...oh when it turns off its takes a litle while b4 it turns on..and no worning b4 it turns off nothing at all just off...

Thanks in Advance
Dragz.:b:

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Could be the crank angle sensor (common) or the DFI module. The connector you describe is on the side of the DFI module. If this becomes corroded you may get the problems that you have. The fact that it takes a little while before you can restart it sounds like the crank angle sensor, as it fails with heat.

The pins on the DFI module connector dont need to be gold plated. There arent too many problems with the connector, personally I havent heard of anyone having a problem with it. If it is exposed to water alot ofcourse it will corrode, but where it is located in the engine it really shouldnt get much water anyway.

Dragz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
ahh

so that should fix the problem?(car stoping)...and how much does it cost?
oh and my hazard and my heater dont work lol....i freeze my ass off in the morning when going to work i shake and it makes the car go up and down lol :p but yea if annyone can help me about them 2 woul;d be great too
this forum kicks ass..:yeah:
Thanks so much for ur help ppl!!
Dragz

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Crank angle sensor will cost about $120-$160 installed. When you say your hazards dont work. Do your indicators work? I would be replacing the hazard switch as there isnt much else to the circuit. have a look on ebay as that is the cheapest:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VR-VS-CALAIS...yZ102357QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a set of three switches (hazzard/air con/rear demister) for $2.00 (+ postage unless your in bris) in good nic. Otherwise holden sell the hazzard on its own for about $15-$20.

When you say your heater isnt working do you mean the fan doesnt work? Or the air the fan blows isnt hot? If the fan isnt working try swapping the ignition relay near the fuses on the drivers side under the steering wheel. Could be a faulty relay. Otherwise check fuses. Could also be fan speed resistor (does the fan work at any speeds?). Let me know and I will help you out. When you turn the temperature control from side to side is there a little plastic/metal control sliding near your left foot (when youre in the drivers seat ofcourse).

Just need to be a bit more descriptive when you have a prob.

Chris

Dragz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
yo

hey..am it blows cold air but after half hour it starts to be just alitle warm...
oh n the blinkers do work but no hazard...:ranting:
thnx for the help mate

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I would replace the hazard switch and check that the little plastic/metal control moves near your left foot when you move the temp control.

HsvPlayBoy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Hsv 185i
crank angle sensor Change it Dude Hey if your from melbourne Go ta PICKAPART http://www.pick-a-part.com.au/ i Give you the Link They Have a VR and VS There Now and just Pick ya part for Nothing LOL Free the best way ta fix ya Car Cheers All!!!!

Dragz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ

Hey yall i took the car to a mechanic and he swaped the crank angle sensor and hazard light and fixed the heater for 275$ :cry: now all my money gone
Now lets just hope the car dnt stop again. or ill be banging my head to a wall:b: lol

Thanx alot for ur help guys appriciate it.
Dragz

PS: i cant spell!:embarrass