Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brakes and top speeds

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Hey guys
2 totally unrelated questions here.
1. How long should brake pads last either in the time or the Kms travelled ?

And 2 do you guys know what the top speed of a stock vs ecotec is round about, just curious (please dont say what you have done illigally only if its on a track or private property).

Cheers

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
brake pads - I've still got the same pads as when I bought the car. no idea how old/k's done, but I've done around 24000km on them and they're still alright for factory brakes.

as for otp speed, not too sure on VS's, but I think it's supposed to be around 200km/h, but things like different suspension, bodykit, engine/driveline mods and a stereo can affect top speed

Adzzaman

Powered By Buick
Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Ive seen a VR V6 do 190km/h before. Easily had a few more k's in it.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
too hard to say how long brake pads last in terms of k's...i mean if your doin town/city drivin all the time they'll obviously have a shorter life span as opposed to country/open road driving....if your worried just get your mechanic to have a geez next time your down there, he'll tell you straight away how much meat you got left on em.
top speed of a stock vs would be about 220-240, you'd need one hell of a long straight to it up to that though, lol.

jimiemick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR's
My old VN did 190 in 4th ( manual ) and then i was running out of track ( sware i lost 1/2 my pads stopping )
But my VR berlina will get up to about 190ish but just doesnt seem to have the go as the manual did

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Brake pads can last any amount of distance, depends on what sort of driving you do, and what the pads are made up of. Generally pads that don't last as long work better I've found, the standard Holden ones can last for 30 or 40 thousand km, and the rear ones even longer. I have only replaced my rear pads once in 65,000kms, fronts are a lot less though.

As for a top speed, the auto switches from 3rd to 4th gear at 205 km/h and I believe that the top speed for the VS V6 Auto is 213 km/h.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Harvs82 said:
As for a top speed, the auto switches from 3rd to 4th gear at 205 km/h and I believe that the top speed for the VS V6 Auto is 213 km/h.

Auto switch at that speed is if you are at WOT...

Best I've seen is a vs s1 doing 190 with more in it.. but too windy.. gettin a little scary so he backed off...

Power21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC sle '81
jimiemick said:
My old VN did 190 in 4th ( manual ) and then i was running out of track ( sware i lost 1/2 my pads stopping )
But my VR berlina will get up to about 190ish but just doesnt seem to have the go as the manual did

It would do atleast 200, my mates EA did 200. My VC got up to 160 in the wind and rain. Didn't want to go any quicker as i could hardly see.

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
ive seen a video of a VT v6 auto reach 217km it takes it a while to get to that from 200 though

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
yea i had got my VR up to 175 and that was without pushing it, just cruising, so i think it could easily reach 200+ without too many major hassles.