Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Transmission slipping and blowing lock off

M

manual VT

Hi everyone i was hoping one of you might be able to help me we have a 99 VS with a transmission problem. The transmission slips in first gear but only first thing in the morning then thats it for the day and the other problem is that its now the 3rd time that the lock on the dipstick has blown off and blown tranny fluid all over the place seems like its building up pressure but not really sure whats going any help would be great thanks.

J

Joes_meat

Sounds like it's overheating.

Check the fluid level and colour.

Does it have a trans cooler?

M

manual VT

the colour is fairly brown so a bit dirty. umm how would i know if it has a cooler dont think it has. and what would be causeing it to over heat

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Hi, Mine has 2 coolers, 1 in the passengers side of the radiater and one in front of the radiater. If your coolant lines are blocked it will cause fluid to get hot and turn it brown. This can also make air in tranny hotter causing it it blow out your dipstick.
Solution is to service tranny and clean out your coolant lines, i would blow commpressed air through them. Make sure you have both lines undone on the tranny so any gunk doesnt go into it.
If you can weld a drain bung into your trannys sump while you have it off, that will make the job easier next time. You should service tranny every 50,000 kms.
Hope this helps.

M

manual VT

thanks heaps will give it a try anyone else who has any other ideas i will be glad to here them. really hoping i wont need a new tranny

Adzzaman