Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cooling system??

quiksilver1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
hi,just brought a vs spac, my radiator is slightly leaking from the cap. i have replaced thermostat and radiator cap and also ran a flush through it. just wondering is it some sort of pressure problem?any thoughts appreciated.also the temp sits on quater while driving but creeps up after a few sets of lights,bloke at radiator place tells me normal for this model. is this true? where does the temp sit on your cars??

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Yeah temp goes up when sittin still. Mine sits on a quarter most of time. If you put your aircon on the thermos should kick in and keep your temp down. As for buidin up pressure dont know blown headgasketor somethin maybe cap just not sealing properly around the flange or your overflow line blocked , check the hose and the connector on the radiater.

quiksilver1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
will check overflow line,thanks.when i fill the overflow to correct levels the radiator cap tends to leak more until overflow bottle is nearly empty then i dont get much leakage. definetly leaking from the cap

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
What you call the 'overflow' bottle is really the header or reserve tank and it must always have coolant in it (under normal conditions). Check you have the correct radiator cap (135kPa) and that both rubber seals are in good condition and the cap is seated properly. It should not leak coolant past the cap. Even if the motor boils and the radiator cap opens, the pressure will be vented via the overflow tube to the reserve tank and then out via the reserve tank overflow tube.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I might have your answer... I had a similar leaking problem on my exec and now my vs calais... I thought it was leaking out of the cap too because you could see the white stain of the coolant under the cap and srayed onto the airbox. Tried a new cap and still did it. On a closer look the overflow hose that is attatched just beneath the radiator was the problem. The tiny metal clamp had cut its way through the rubber hose and when the pressure built up it was the place where the pressure could escape. I cut about 15mm off the hose and reset it. All seems to be good so far. I'm still gonna take it to a radiator place and get pressure tested though to make sure. Let us know if that helps.

quiksilver1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
Mate I Will Try Cutting Off Some Of The Hose. I Did Check It For Cracks, But It Wouldnt Take Much Under Pressure To Slightly Leak.cheers

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
quiksilver1 said:
Mate I Will Try Cutting Off Some Of The Hose. I Did Check It For Cracks, But It Wouldnt Take Much Under Pressure To Slightly Leak.cheers

With coolant, the smallest of leaks can leave the biggest mess making it appear much worse than it is. I wouldn't think it would cost much to ask a mechanic to do a pressure test anyway.