Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

painting interior?

cladiges

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS commodore exec V6
Hi Guys and Gals

I have decided that i want to paint some of my interior. I want to paint the dash around the spedo. the plate around the CD player, the plate around the gear box selector and the center consol. Has anyone done this? how do you get the dash off?

any pic would also help on what the end finish would look like.

killuminati

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Vacationer
I am in the process of doing this. i havent taken the dash off yet, so cant help u there, although i have read somewhere how to do it, i cant remember.
Just use good paint and prep well. I trialled 2 different paints, a vht ($16) and a supercheap ($2.49) and the results clearly showed its worth paying the extra.

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
ey mate, i did this a few months back, bring the interior up lookin good i recon.....i used a VHT Colour Dye from autobarn, wored really well and dont need to prime it:)
heres how to get the gear surround and area around handbreak(centre console too) off/out:

Pull hand brake lever fully up.
Undo zipper below hand brake lever.
Put gear lever into neutral.
Open ashtray and pull up and remove.
Being very carefull lift the gear lever surround up from the rear, near the hand brake. This may take some force and may require a bit of help by using a small pry bar. Do not over force else it may break.
Once lifted from the rear, pull gear lever surround towards the rear of the vehicle.
Disconnect 1x 1 pin plug from cigarette lighter light. This requires the lifting up of tab.
Disconnect 1x 2 pin plug from cigarette lighter.
Lift surround up and turn 90'.
Lift surround up and tilt over gear lever from rear to front.
Mark gear position indicator plate cover for position in relation to white gear lever surround.
Remove gear position indicator plate cover.
Remove plate cover from above PWR/ECON switch.
Being very carefull lift gear lever sliding trim up slightly, twist the rear section down, push slightly forward and pull towards the drivers side of vehicle. Remove trim. Be very carefull not to snap trim in half at gear lever.
Pry small white trim from the front section of the white gear lever surround and remove.
Remove 4x black screws from the white gear lever surround.
Lift white gear lever surround up slightly and twist gear lever indicator bulb holder and pull away from white gear lever surround.
Disconnect 3 pin plug from the PWR/ECON switch wiring.
Remove white gear lever surround.
Loosen 2x large screws from front of centre console. Do not remove just loosen.
Lift centre console lid up and carpet up in the bottom of the console well.
Remove 2x 10mm nuts from under the carpet in the console well. (may be 2x screws)
Close console lid and place gear lever into first gear position.
Lift the rear of the centre console up about 50mm wilst pulling to the rear about 50mm. Lift the rear of the centre console up and over the gear lever and hand brake lever then slide centre console rearwards. Be carefull of electric window wiring (undo plugs at front of centre console underneith stereo surround) if fitted. Remove centre console.

Doesnt take too long to do, then for the dash surround, unscrew the two screws above the dash, pull the facia lose(held in by clips) un do the connections for all the buttons(A/C Demist and Hazard etc) then the headlight one i think you pull the frontnob bit off, turn the inside clockwise and it comes out(opposite for re-installing)
Its all pretty easy to do:thumbsup:

Nick

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 891
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 595

cladiges

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS commodore exec V6
Cheers mate. The pics look sick too!!!!.

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
thankz buddy, its worth the effort i recon;)

hotrod32

Reaction score
Website
www.notdadzkustoms.cjb.net
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
Dash painting

hey mate, I too have undergone the painting idea and it comes up a treat. I did the console surround and guages in my VN Calais before it was stolen :(
I also re did the stuff in my new VS Executive. The guy i bought it off had a go at it before me with the chepo paint and it looked real crappy. I re did it and used a body filler on the center console on both cars to make it neeter. I also remover the cigrette lighter with a little fiberglassing :) All the blue stuff is how the VS was when i got it, and the black and purple is how it is now. Next up is to do all the vynal on the dash and doors. I little tip as well. when its done give your highlighted pieces (if you want) a clear coat as well, makes em look a million bucks!

Attachments

• 1185.JPG
    1185.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 582
  • 1651.JPG
    1651.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 624
  • 1812.JPG
    1812.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 715
  • 1814.JPG
    1814.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 516

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Just curious (i'm not going to molest the calais - don't stress :p) do the vht dyes scratch or anything like that? Or is it as durable as factory? One thing that scared me with painting the last one was the fact it may scratch or peel etc.

hotrod32

Reaction score
Website
www.notdadzkustoms.cjb.net
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
mattman said:
Just curious (i'm not going to molest the calais - don't stress :p) do the vht dyes scratch or anything like that? Or is it as durable as factory? One thing that scared me with painting the last one was the fact it may scratch or peel etc.

I dunno about the Vynal stuff because i only have it on my centre console, for now. The plastic stuff is a little easy to scratch, so you have to be carefull with it.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
yeah thats what i figured...

But i'm not touching the calais. silver and woodgrain i think not. going to be a serious case of appreciation of a stock vehicle :p (well stock as much as you can see....)