Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Types

S

**Stylish**

Hi guys and girls,

I have a VR commodore excecutive auto 1994. I'm wondering what type of fuel to run on. I've been using premium unleaded octange 98, from Caltex. But use to run on normal unleaded, but started have really bad fuel pickup problems.

But since running octange 98, the car has not missed a beat. Which do u guys recommed running on?

R

RevHead1313

Im running mine on 98 octane Ethanol/unleaded and it runs really well

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The same as I run my mower on - standard unleaded. I think its 92 octane. This is what the manufacturer designed the engine to run on ....and its cheeeep.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
95ron will give you just as good performance as 98ron on a normal v6. It's tuned to 91RON, will happily take 95RON with a bit of a pickup... but 98RON it just can't fully use and there's no real advantage over 95RON.

I have no choice though... :( has to be at least 95ron for me... agh.

ENV5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec, VC SL/E V8, 2x Lada Nivas
lpg..................

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
95 ron vortex, with a 3-4 ron increase octane boost...ends up being cheaper than paying for 98 ron (and easier to find...qld doesnt have heaps of places that carry 98) and i know for sure then thats its 98+ (which i need with my car being chipped) rather than taking the oil companies word for it that your gettin 98...
what they dont actually tell you is that 98 is the max rating it will be, we have a placard at work that has all the ron ratings for fuel....unleaded (ULP) has 91-93...premium (PULP) has 95-96 and 98 premo has 96-98.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Unless your car needs a higher octane fuel to run properly, there is no specific reason why it needs it. Holden designed the car to run on standard unleaded and there is no reason why it wont. Tests show that the minimal improvement in fuel economy is far outweighed by the higher cost of higher octane fuel. So it costs more. Fuel companies say it will run cleaner - but this has never been proven. Some people swear by it and some people would never touch it. The choice is yours. Run both types of fuel and at the end of the day decide for yourself if the extra (increasing) cost of a higher octane fuel runs your car any better. I personally have never noticed any difference in performance or economy running premium fuel.

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
Very true kopper69. I tried ultimate a year ago to see what all the fuss was about, and I found a noticable difference with the first tank, both in power (moreso) and economy (most of my driving is on highway). I also found the engine ran smoother than with standard/premium unleaded.

If I do have to put unleaded in it I notice the difference straight away, less power, economy and smoothness.

They are my conclusions but definitely, as you said, each to their own :)