Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

pushrod to DOHC. Is it possible?

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
hey all,

i was wondering is it possible to change a standard ecotec engine from pushrod to Double Overhead Cams using the alloytec heads.

ive seen ppl with VL Turbos that hav an RB30ET single overhead and theyve changed it to a RB30DET double overhead using the head from an RB25DET engine.

would the alloytec heads fit onto a standard ecotec block, i assume there would be a lot of work considering it would be changing from pushrod to DOHC

just want some input from everyone

J

Joes_meat

I think this would be near impossible.

The Nissan RB30 and RB25's are very simmilar motors - thus the interchangable heads. Plus the fact that you've still got your OH timing chain that can simply be replaced with a longer one to go over both cams. In the Ecotec there is nowhere to put the timing chain's. They'd have to go on the front or rear of the motor - and I think they'd have to be external.

The Ecotec is based on an old 1950's Buick engine. The internals are pretty much the same (ecotec's have a balance shaft and a few other differences.)

But the Alloytec is a completely different motor. So I doubt the heads are even remotely the same size, shape, coolant/oil galleries, etc.

Much cheaper just to buy a whole new Alloytec and put that in. Probably cheaper to install a turbo on it as well.

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
thanx just curious and wanted to know