Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cutting rear breaks for DRIFTING and hand brake problem

R

rickyray

Hey guys great site, im a newbie.
I have a VR Statesman and me and a mate were out for a cruise the other night and he was telling me something about being able to cut out my back brakes by clamping the fluid going to the back so you get full power from the back and breaks at the front for drifting.
Is there any truth in that.

Also my handbrake is totaly ****ed. I pull it right up and doesnt do anything i can drive with it up and doesnt make a bit of difference, Is it an easy fix

Anyone can help us out that will be great.

WiLo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec
umm stoping your rear brakes from working wont help you be a fully sick dorifto.
as for the handbrake tighten it up and it should work unless youve ****ed it by doing to many handbrakies

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
if u really want to lose ur rear brakes the best thing to do is get line lockers. that way u can turn ur rear brakes on and off without completely losing them. yea my handbrake is rooted aswell i think all u have to do is tighten the cable, sounds prettye easy but i havent got around to it yet.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
under the car where the cable hooks up to the handbrake there should be a bow like thingy and two nuts locked together, simply unlock them and take the slack out of your handbrake whilst its down [ take it just past slack ] then simply relock the nuts to hold it there, this should fix the hand brake issue.

so for the brakes you acctually want a little more bias to the rear to get it to swing out but clamping the lines has hree problems:

1) its dangerous
2) it's ileegal [ in wa ]
3) you'd have to replace the lines to get them working again.

line lockers are the better way to go [ though i thought they were mostly used in drags to hold the car for a burnout or in burnout comps.

hope that helps a little :)

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
who would be stupid enough to try go sideways in a commodore. there not built for drifting they are passenger cars therefore meaning they r unbalanced. mainly the rear end is too heavy. in other words, u will start to go sideways and then eventually it will oversteer too much and u will do a 360 into a pole. if u want a drift car get urself a nice 180sx or 200sx cos jap cars can drift

trust me on this ive seen it happen over and over again, the most recent is when my mate tried to drift out of a slip lane in VXSS and spun out onto the other side of the road nearly into the next slip lane. he had to change he rear axle, rear wheel bearings and he also damaged his rims. cost him ova $1000 to fix it all. he did this cos he tried to follow my other mate in a drift who was with his RX-7

it gets me so angry when try hards talk about drifting in their commodores

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Silly people. When will you learn that the commodore is designed mainly as a family/fleet car. . . . . . . .

MBS206

Reaction score
HA HA HA HA! Can't drift a commo?

Go watch up at Oran Park, a work Colleague who properly drifts (Qualified 15th for Aus Nationals) watches a V6 VS Manual drift out there all the time.
He said there's basically no mods to it, except he believes a locked diff. He said it drifts all right...

If you want to really drift, you need to be on the track, as if you enter a corner on the road already sideways (How you do in proper drift) and something happens, you jam the brakes to stop, you spin, you crunch something, you kill someone!

DON'T attempt to drift on the road, it's f'ucking stupid! (worse then actually doing burnouts and dragging!) as you have LESS control over the car!

Locking the rear brakes also won't get you a better drift...
Drifters use three things to step the car out:
1) The Clutch
2) Handbrake
3) Sheer torque

V

vnberlwagon

Drifting in Commy's

SaGe said:
who would be stupid enough to try go sideways in a commodore. there not built for drifting they are passenger cars therefore meaning they r unbalanced. mainly the rear end is too heavy. in other words, u will start to go sideways and then eventually it will oversteer too much and u will do a 360 into a pole. if u want a drift car get urself a nice 180sx or 200sx cos jap cars can drift

trust me on this ive seen it happen over and over again, the most recent is when my mate tried to drift out of a slip lane in VXSS and spun out onto the other side of the road nearly into the next slip lane. he had to change he rear axle, rear wheel bearings and he also damaged his rims. cost him ova $1000 to fix it all. he did this cos he tried to follow my other mate in a drift who was with his RX-7

it gets me so angry when try hards talk about drifting in their commodores
The world drifting champ drives a Commy Ute, u may have seen it in Street Machine, Street Commodores, Street Machine Commodores, it's part of the C.A.P.A. Racing/ Drag Organisation.

WiLo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec
MBS206 said:
Go watch up at Oran Park, a work Colleague who properly drifts (Qualified 15th for Aus Nationals) watches a V6 VS Manual drift out there all the time.
He said there's basically no mods to it, except he believes a locked diff. He said it drifts all right...

yeah, that guy is good, put doesnt really go to far past the level where is in comfortable, pretty much the same speed all the ime, whereas the better drifters out there are going into the corners a lot faster.
not taking away from the guys effort but it isnt as good as drifting the cars that are set up for it, s13s sprinters cefiros etc.
that guy is good though seeing as its pretty much just a lowered commodore, seen a fair few times where the person in front has spun out and he manages to come up before hitting them, or just spins himself out to avoid accidents.

MBS206

Reaction score
Alot of those S13s etc, have a bit of money spent on there suspension...

I'm not trying to say it's the be all and end all of drifting, but saying the commo can't drift is a load of bullshit.

The problem is, most commodores are auto... Autos are useless for drifting as you have no clutch to pump to break into wheel spin if needed.