Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR II Sounding rough..

Blakie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94' VR Exec
My VR series 2 seems to be sounding pretty rough... runs pretty nicely, but it sounds very rough only when in gear though, its very loud and sounds like its straining.. if i rev it a little out of gear it sounds fine...also it seems to be when its running cold.. i was just wondering if any1 else has had this same problem or if anyone knows what this could be.. thanx

Last edited:

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
without having your car in front of me, I can only suggest a few possibilities.
spark leads, DFI, spark plugs, dead converter.

check for error codes just in case

Blakie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94' VR Exec
heyy i know its a bit of a hard one to figure out cos i cant really explain it too well, but i checked errors... comes up with 12.. every time sounds like something to do with the engine... or timing, it struggles and gets louder.. until changing gear and then gets louder n louder until changing, but seems to die down once the engine is warmer..

cheers for the responses guys

Dragz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ

Hey man my vr sounds rough and it has this clciking noise at the motor
this happen about a week ago after the mechanic changed my crank angle sensor...its scaring me coz i dnt know what it could be...ammm when i grev it abit it sounds but the clicking noise is still there...:b: would appriciate help 2 thnx
Dragz.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
Blakie said:
heyy i know its a bit of a hard one to figure out cos i cant really explain it too well, but i checked errors... comes up with 12.. every time sounds like something to do with the engine... or timing, it struggles and gets louder.. until changing gear and then gets louder n louder until changing, but seems to die down once the engine is warmer..

cheers for the responses guys
no idea. take it to a mechanic

Dragz said:
Hey man my vr sounds rough and it has this clciking noise at the motor
this happen about a week ago after the mechanic changed my crank angle sensor...its scaring me coz i dnt know what it could be...ammm when i grev it abit it sounds but the clicking noise is still there...:b: would appriciate help 2 thnx
Dragz.
either injectors or lifters. quite common. mine ticks, and has done for about10000 km and hasn't been a problem, just annoying

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
didn't see your post in the other thread. if it's unhappy revving, it's spark. plugs, leads or coils all present as the same symptom.

here's a test. go to a dark area, pop the bonnet, and rev the engine. watch the spark leads for arcs. if the leads arc, they're stuffed. coils can arc too, but it's often hard to see. testing plugs is as simple as removing them and inspecting. in any case, if in doubt, ask a pro or just replace them

Blakie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94' VR Exec
fixed.. if it helps anyone.. water pump was screwed so was the gasket covers and steering rack was leaking too badly.. $1400 job... not nice.. but feels good now

Blakie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94' VR Exec
lol howcome?