Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

97 VS II V6 questions mods that work ?

S

swamprat

1/ Normal driven car around town how many "Ks' per tank

2/ any thought non the series 2 police chip ?
3/ anyone actually got improvement from an K&N not pod
4/ thoughts on redback cats back is it worth the cash
5/ air flow meter ( 71 MM )worth doing any success in this mod
6/ any clues on some cheap tweaking to boost the fuel consumion the old V6

<<<<<<<((((((Thanks in advance Swamprat))))>>>>>>>>>>

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
hey i can help u with the K&N filter. i bought one a while ago for $115 stuck it in and i noticed a slight difference; slightly better accellaration, no change to fuel consumption, and a slightly more throaty exhaust note.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
1 -k's... depends on the traffic.. how much boot you give it etc could be anywhere between 350-500 depending on all factors.

2 - police chip is a myth... you are better off getting a custom tune (after anything else you will be doing to the car).
3 - again a matter of debate.. CAI's/POD's improve throttle response but overall power increase is debateable
4 - a catback exhaust is always good.. yes it'll be louder but it'll also be free-er flowing and slightly more fuel efficient.
5 - would only be useful in tandem with a larger diameter TB, and even then only if you've worked the engine.
6 - make sure all oxy/temp sensors are in good working order. Grab a CAI or pod filter, catback helps a little.. anything to do with getting air into and out of the car will help here. Otherwise... lift your right foot about an inch ;)

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
also if your bored wont a statesman fuel tank bolt into a normal exec or similar? they're longer range tanks arent they?

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Any 5L and the Series 2 Superchared Calais have larger tanks... 73L in the Calais at least.

Won't help economy any (actually it'll slightly reduce it due to being heavier when full) but more time between refills... perhaps enough extra time to wait for a better/cheaper day to refill.

hsvpgts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Berlina
hey swampy. i got a vs II berlina v6 with the following mods. VS V6 s/c CAI, k&n panel filter, and a set of HM s/steel headers - std cat and mufflers. rewired earth for better o2 sensor signal, cleaned throttle body and reset base idle. fuel consumption running about 11.9-12.3lts/100km with a heavy right foot about 90% of the time. this equals 520 - 560km's per tank (std 63ltr tank).

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
if ur considering changing ur tank u can still use ur regular V6 pump

pumba

OMR346
Reaction score
Website
www.mh-performance.com
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
1... i get about 450 to a tank (mind u, i dont run less then 1/4 tank and i use premium only)
2... dont no about the police chip sorry
3... i dont have a K&N but i no ppl that do and they reackon its a **** load better
4... redback 2 1/2" mandral bent cat back zaust with single highflow muffler??? go for it mate. there a good zaust
5... dont no about this one as well
6... try runnin it on premium all the time, it costs a few dollars extra ($10 extra for 100Ltrs) but its worth it. i only use premium and i get about 80 - 100kms more to a tank :D. get it tuned right, new plugs and leads, just little **** like that ;)

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
I got K & N Filter assy, Aunger Cold Air intake, Extractors, 2 1/4 inch exhaust, Brand new O2 sensor, Brand new temp sender, Reco Injectors, Scrubbed the TB, new iridium plugs n leads, even fixed the all the broken breather hoses and EECS hoses at the tank to ensure no evaporation....
I drive it like a dead set nana, to n from work (city driving) this week i got 350klms from a tank. Very annoying when my cuz has a 5L ute that he drives like he stole and he gets the same economy as me.........
None of the mods i have done have improved economy at all!!!!!!
:b: :hit:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Slow VR said:
I got K & N Filter assy, Aunger Cold Air intake, Extractors, 2 1/4 inch exhaust, Brand new O2 sensor, Brand new temp sender, Reco Injectors, Scrubbed the TB, new iridium plugs n leads, even fixed the all the broken breather hoses and EECS hoses at the tank to ensure no evaporation....
I drive it like a dead set nana, to n from work (city driving) this week i got 350klms from a tank. Very annoying when my cuz has a 5L ute that he drives like he stole and he gets the same economy as me.........
None of the mods i have done have improved economy at all!!!!!!
:b: :hit:

when was the last time you changed the fuel filter and gave your engine a full service?

as for your Q's swamprat:
1) i get 10L/100k's
2) no such thing
3) certainly have, not as good as a pod though.
4) catbacks are a neat mod, i'd actually get a lukey one though.
5) no point unless you do some work to your engine, plus you'd need a dyno tuned chip to run it.
6) get a chip from dr bob (he's on this forum)