Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

grinding noise....:(

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
hey, iv posted this befor but i never realy got a definate answer. i was wonder why this grinding noise occured while i drive. it happens only between 65-85km/h and only happens sometimes (often lots at a time and then not for a while). when this happens you also loose all acceleration, you have o remove your foot from the accelerator then put it back on to stop it. It had like this when i bought the car and the previous owner said a mechanic had told him it was a carbon build up (cant remeber what part of the car it was in). he said all that needed to be done is to get it cleened out and that it would cost about $200. apart from making a realy iritating noise i have also noticed that my fuel use is REALY BAD. im gettin bout 100km per tank less than should. i am wondering iv anyone could tell me if i have a carbon problem (and if so what does it cost to clean out) or if not any suggestions to what is wrong with my car.
sorry bout the essay length thread...
cheers, jesse.

Dragz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
hey man i have no idea what it could be but i hope ya get it fixed as i know it can be quite depressing when it comes to car problems..im having some atm and im so pissed:b:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe a bit more info like where is the grinding noise coming from - front, rear.
The carbon bit may refer to the catalytic convertor being blocked with carbon or the IAC valve or something else on the intake side....but neither of these would cause a grinding noise but they could cause loss of power but not intermittent.
Don't worry about the length of your post - the more clues you put in the better someone can solve the problem.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
ahh, the noise is coming from the front of the car (engine)

Simdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
96vscommodore....i am having the same trouble with my car to. EXACTLY the same. does it only grind when you touch the acceleator slightly? cheers i am needing help with this problem as well

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
yep sounds exactley the same! only when you accelerate slowly and maintain a speed does it do it, i even get it while using cruise control. if you hell boot it then its fine!!! i dont get it...
AGHHH HELP!!!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe you both need to run a fault code check...see the "how to's" section.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
yeh did and i got 12 (OK) then got 23(MAT sensor: High Voltage)

Reaction score
Members Ride
purple/blue VR 3.8lt 4 speed auto
i knida got the same prob. at around 60, 80, and 100 i get a deep grinding noisefrom the front left but i rev it and goes away. i was told it mite be the hub bearings but u gotta replace the whole hub tho. i figure drive it till it breaks, then u kno wats wrong with it..lol

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I'm betting its the water pump thats shat a bearing...take your serpentine belt off and see it there's any side to side movement of the water pump pully... that could be making the grinding noises if it was knackered.