Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deadlocks not working? Try this!

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
G'day all,

I posted a while ago asking for info on the deadlock feature on my VS as it was not working. I got some good info but no one managed to actually tell me how to fix it. So.... I decided to have a look.

For those of you who's 'deadlocking' doesn't work try this.

*Note this may not be relevant to all those that can't deadlock however it could be a common problem.

Ok so this is what I did:

Objectives:

Fix deadlocks
Find and Fix annoying rattle/buzzing when driving from door
Prevent bottoms of doors from rusting

Process:

- Removed drivers side door trim and plastic moisture barrier. Removed barrier carefully pulling it while cutting glue with sharp knife. Made it so easy.

- Had a good look around the lock area and noticed a switch with three wires connected to it, that wasn't attached to anything, just hanging limp by its cable. I assumed it was for the deadlocks so I got in the car and shut the door. Locked with the remote central and then closed the switch. Sure enough the familiar sound of solenoids alerted me to the fact it was the deadlock switch. And yes I couldn't get out :) until I opened the switch and unlocked the doors.

- So then I wondered where it sat before it got loose and fell out. If you look at the lock barrel you'll notice there is a slight cam on it so when turned in the 'deadlock' direction (anti-clockwise) the cam looks like it's supposed to close and hold the switch. (Sorry no pics but I made some drawings) I noticed there was a small black panel. On each side it had to little lumps one underneath the other (see picture one) the switch had two holes on it that lined up with the lumps so I mounted it and checked that it's where it was supposed to be. It was and so I found the mounting point. I then got my dad in the car to test it where it was mounted and it works perfectly.

- So. As it fell off I wasn't sure how it was attached. So I araldite'd it and it's fixed no way it will ever come off again.

- Evidently the loose switch caused the rattle so that was fixed, while the door interior was off I took the opportunity to lubricate all window workings with petroleum jelly and then paint fish oil on the bottom of the door (to prevent rust). Put it all back together again and life's peachy!

Let me know how you go!

DaPlaya

Pic1.JPG

Pic2.JPG

Last edited:

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
He he. Nice pics. Good to see you put in the effort. With any problem, you should come on here first to try and find the answer. If you cant find it, and no one can help you have to be the pioneer. Then you will become the resident expert. And if anyone has any door/lock problems you will be able to help them out.

Anyone who has door lock problems DaPlaya is the man to ask. Good on ya mate. Nice to see you fixed the problem and hopefully help some people out.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Great problem description, solution and well written to boot. Should be in "Commodore How To's"

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
wouldnt fish oil smell a little rank after a while? * shrugs * well written non the less. +1

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Patrio7 said:
wouldnt fish oil smell a little rank after a while? * shrugs * well written non the less. +1
Modern fishoil is deodorised so it doesn't pong for long....plus it does stop the rust and is the quickest easiest and most economical way of stopping and preventing rust.

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
Patrio7 said:

Not sure of the brand however yeah it does smell, but it's more of a wood putty smell rather than fish oil. And it fades it's taken about 2 days and it's either I don't notice it or it's faded.

My girlfriend got in the car and thought i'd been playing with putty in the wood shed :whistling

Thanks for your replies guys, just helping out.

Last edited:

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I remember the fish oil my old man used to use on his trucks. It smelt bad and lasted days and days. I wouldnt dare spray that inside my car unless I wanted to deter theives. But yea I think most are deodorised now.

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
Trust me If it smelt bad it would not be in my car, the early fish oil was rank!

The smells fine it's started to fade now also if you want to do it but the smell worries you just get a air freshiner in your car.

Last edited:

EGG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
is it any good on semi-established rust? or just for stopping it from coming up?