Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Starter Motor Price

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi Guys,

Seems like my starter motor is on its last legs, just wondering if anyone knows what I would be up for, in buying a new one, and if anyone has had one done, what did it end up costing you? It's for the V6 engine, auto transmission.

Cheers

Harvs82

P

pat

a reco one will set you back 165 plus about 33 fitting. dont pay much more than that. i wouldn't get a new one just costs more and those staters when reco'd will last as good as a new one anyway. remember cash always makes things cheaper too. if your in brissie we could prolly work out a good price.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
pat said:
a reco one will set you back 165 plus about 33 fitting. dont pay much more than that. i wouldn't get a new one just costs more and those staters when reco'd will last as good as a new one anyway. remember cash always makes things cheaper too. if your in brissie we could prolly work out a good price.

I'm in Melbourne, but thanks for the info anyway. Do you know what a new one is worth?

I will probably just go for a reconditioned one, as I am only keeping the car for another year...

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You can always pull it apart and see if it is just a dirty commutator or worn brushes or worn brush end bush. Not much to go wrong in a starter motor and if you are going to the trouble of pulling it out you may as well 'pull it apart' and see why it is sluggish unless you don't want the hassles....though you can save some $$$$

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
hako said:
You can always pull it apart and see if it is just a dirty commutator or worn brushes or worn brush end bush. Not much to go wrong in a starter motor and if you are going to the trouble of pulling it out you may as well 'pull it apart' and see why it is sluggish unless you don't want the hassles....though you can save some $$$$

Ok, well what is happening is a somewhat intermittant problem, although it has become a lot worse with the colder weather now. First thing in the morning, the first crank(s) are VERY VERY slow, it almost sounds like the starter motor is freewheeling sometimes, and then subsequent cranks are at a normal speed. This problem also happens when the car is hot, ie if I have driven home from work in peak hour, turn the car off for say 10 mins, and then go to start it again. It almost seems as though it just doesn't have enough go to turn the engine over. The battery is 23 months old, and the lowest it has dipped to when the starter is playing up is 9.8 volts, so I'm assuming that the battery itself is not the cause of the problem.

I can also stop cranking, leave it for a few seconds, and then go again, and it might be fine, it just doesn't happen EVERY time I start the car. Any ideas?

_Mukas_

DJ Titan...Hardstyle guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L Statesman
There is a place in Hallam called Reconditioned Auto Elecs, (03) 9796 5907. I work for Bosch and these guys are who we recommend for reconditioned stuff so if your hell bent on a reconditioned unit give those guys a call