Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Polishing top plate?

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
Hi Guys

Ive seen alot of ecotecs with polished top plates. How do you guys do it?

Ive got Maguires all metal polish that ill try use mite take awhile to get it chrome looking just wondering what everyone else does or suggestions?

Cheers :)

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
VSRUMBLE said:
Hi Guys

Ive seen alot of ecotecs with polished top plates. How do you guys do it?

Ive got Maguires all metal polish that ill try use mite take awhile to get it chrome looking just wondering what everyone else does or suggestions?

Cheers :)

You need to smooth it out first - get some wet and dry - start with coarse and work your way thru to ultra fine - then hit it with maguires. Takes a while and some elbow grease.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
or you could go even more coarse to start, a 300 even. i did the whole plenum by hand and its a pretty time consuming task. use a power tool where you can to save some of your finger length!

C

charged6_vsacclaim

my mate got his done on a wire wheel. not time consuming at all. and it beats putting ur hand through all that pain.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
a wire wheel? hope it was a stainless wire wheel. you know what happens when you clean a piece of alloy or stainless with a steel wire wheel? tiny little pieces get embedded in the material you are cleaning. you know what happens when these pieces start to rust? thats right, red plenum. doesnt look good at all. but even after using a wire wheel, you would have to take it further to get a nice polished finish, more wet and dry, then either hand buff with grades of cutting paste and polish or on a cloth wheel....

B

bns-sticky

you can get special sanding discs for metal polishing. I have all the gear in my shed for doing truck bullbars. After a while bullbars get all pitted and well they need sort of sanding back to get a smooth finish. That reminds me, I got to redo my bullbar.

If you are in Brisbane try calling the NUT AND BOLT PLACE at Capallaba. We have one of those shops here in warwick and they stock all the stuff you need.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
i started on mine today while i was bored. i had 1200 grit wet/dry paper on the half sheet orbital sander. that got through the rough stuff very quickly. now i need to get buffing.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
post pics!

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
Yea thanks guys i was just doing it with the maguires and it took ages and hardly anywhere near finished.

How much would it cost to get them chromed? any rough idea?

If too much then ill get my hand into action they look awesome :)

C

charged6_vsacclaim

EcotecManiac said:
a wire wheel? hope it was a stainless wire wheel. you know what happens when you clean a piece of alloy or stainless with a steel wire wheel? tiny little pieces get embedded in the material you are cleaning. you know what happens when these pieces start to rust? thats right, red plenum. doesnt look good at all. but even after using a wire wheel, you would have to take it further to get a nice polished finish, more wet and dry, then either hand buff with grades of cutting paste and polish or on a cloth wheel....

yeah im positive it was. well whatever he did after that i dont no but it's been done for well over a year now and it still looks brand new. the only problem iwith it is that there is a few finger prints here and there.