Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy lifters..what does it mean?

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
Hi Guys,

Everyone says Commodore 3.8 engines have noisy lifters and it's because (I think) its takes a while for leaky lifters to fill up with oil to quiten down.

What does this mean in terms of engine life? Will it cause engine to run badly or damage something?

Mine eventually quietens but it takes longer as time goes on. Engine runs ok and fuel economy seems fine.

I'm running on gas and the injectors are stopped so I know its not them making the clacking noise.

Cars done 243k.

Thanks for any input

Clacks

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
The idea of hydraulic lifters is to eliminate any freeplay in the valve train and to eliminate any need to adjust valve stem to rocker clearances...

If the hydraulic lifters aren't pumping up... then your valve train hammers (clacks) because parts are wacking together when they should be in contact all the time... this will over time cause more wear and tear on the cam, pushrod ends, rockers, valve stems, valve seats, and may cause fatigued valve springs which will only make things worse.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Your assumption that they take a little time to fill with oil and reduce the valve lash is correct...at 243k, your motor is probably down on oil pressure and takes a bit longer to completely fill the lifters, plus the lifters are probably worn and leak a bit. Unless the noise is very loud then I would not worry about it as the cost will be considerable. At your mileage you could be running thicker oil which will quiten them down. Not all Commodore 3.8 motors have noisy lifters and I have heard it said that not changing the oil frequently leads to a sludge buildup in the lifters making them leak down quicker.

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
Thanks guys for the posts.

I'm running 20w50, can I go thicker? It's worse when its cold, does that mean the oil is too thick in the morning?

I've done 5000kms changes since 100k and mnost of that has been on gas so I'm pretty sure the engine is clean.

What about oil pump? light is only on for a sec on startup (if that), is that an accurate indication of pump performance?

Clacks

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I recently changed from magnatec to GTX2 20/50W and noticed a small improvement in noise and how rough it idles. I think 20/50 would be as far as I would go with the VR/VS engine.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Oil light should go out immediately or in a fraction of a second. At your mileage 'everything' will be worn....but not necessarily 'wornout'. Low oil pressure on a high mileage engine is usually caused by worn bearings - bigends, conrods and camshaft which being worn allow the oil to flow thru them more freely and so the oil pressure drop. Or it could be worn lifters or a blocked oil pump pickup etc etc. As Kopper69 says, don't go lower than 20/50 ....at least during winter. To fix the lifter noise would probably require a full engine overhaul which is $$$$. To try and fix by fitting new lifters or an oil pump may only partially fix the problem. If the car isn't burning heaps of oil or showing other terminal failure indications then I'd just turn the radio up louder so I can't hear the lifters...by thats just my opinion. Good Luck.

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
hako said:
If the car isn't burning heaps of oil or showing other terminal failure indications then I'd just turn the radio up louder so I can't hear the lifters...by thats just my opinion. Good Luck.

Yeah sounds good, I'll just keep putting money aside for the rebuilds coming up and treat her like I always have (like a lady :). The lifters do quieten after a short drive so I don't think anything is terminal yet.

Thanks again.

Clacks

B

bns-sticky

Mine are always making the ticking noise, bloody things.