Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Light in the eurovox radio

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
The light that illuminates the channel has blown.
I rang Eurovox and they will charge me $80 per hour to repair. They quoted 1 hour to pull apart and rebuild.
I purchased another one on Ebay and blow me down if it didn't develop the same issue in transit from the seller who guaranteed it was fine when it left him (farkin dog)
Anyone if there are any sparkies out there, are you aware if its a globe or an LED and how much it should cost at a fair rate.
I can pull the outside case off in about 5 minutes so I know Eurovox are having a lend of me at the time and rate they quoted.
Thanx for any help:rofl:

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
it might take them 5 minutes, but they will charge 1 hour minimum to get anything out of it. have you considered pulling both apart and changing a light yourself, im not sure what it would be, but if its a led or globe, shouldnt be too hard, got a soldering iron?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Mine's gone as well . It is probably one of those tiny bulbs as big as a grain of wheat which are behind the hazard and A/C switches. Only one way to find out and if you've got a spare radio to play with then you have nothing (well, not much) to lose by pulling it apart yourself. Good Luck.

J

Joes_meat

I have a spare one that I'll sell cheap if you're interested. Worked fine when I pulled it out.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
the lights behind the face are lil green LEDS, if ur in the know, u just solder new ones on of the same power/resistance

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
I thought they were bulbs? I had a couple go in my Esteem (behind the clock too - bugger) but never did anything about it as the plan was to replace the HU anyway.

You'd have to take the HU out - meaning take the dash out etc to get to it. Then you'd have to pry off the face somehow (i assume) otherwise open up the casing, find the blown bulb, find a new one the same and reverse the process.

If it's just a light behind the channels I'd be inclined not to bother. It's a good hours work if it's your first time time taking the dash out, and that's just the dash, nothing to do with replacing the bulb. Plus you'd either need another car to go get the replacement bulb (once you've taken the dash out) or you'd have to stick the dash back in just to drive it.. and rip it out all over again.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
pfft, you can drive with the dash out, just to the shops. its not exactly a structural part of the car. Wouldnt want to do it for ages though. Plus he has 2 radios

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
it not that hard to get dash out and take out HU, ive done it first time in my car and took 2mins to take dash out(pwr window switches can be tricky,they just unclick),HU was easy u just unscrew off the brackets and unplug and its out. I changed my HU in my car cos staka was stuffed(600 for new one) and it took me about 40mins to take out old , solder up new connections and put dash back in(most of the time was finding the electric antenna wire) and that was first time i pulled a dash apart in a VS.

Johnny_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute
Same thing happened in my old mans VR.

Pulled the unit out, dismantled it and replaced the 20c globe. It has a green sleeve over it making it look very much like an LED, took us a little while at Dick Smith's with the assistant to work out it was a 12v globe. Pretty simple in the end, the hardest part was pulling the dash apart to get the Head Unit out. 2 Hour job if I recall correctly.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Johnny_V said:
. 2 Hour job if I recall correctly.

Yep if your familiar with the dash you can have that in and out in 20 mins... it's all the dicking around inbetween thats the killer... thats why i never bothered with mine lol just waited til i had the new HU.

New one has all the lights :D Which is good since i'm not wanting to replace it.. stacker is nice... plus it keeps my stock look (well it is stock now, but it won't be forever).