Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rip off mechanics

hotrod32

Reaction score
Website
www.notdadzkustoms.cjb.net
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
Hey all,

I got a massive beef with these mechanics in Canberra, For a start i had a bad oil leek from my rear main seal and i rang around different places here im Canberra, starting with the two Holden dealerships. I was quoted prices well above $1000 and around 2 days to fix which i wasnt real happy with, so i rang round a couple of other places to get an idea on price.

I rang a place here in Belco right near where i live, and they quoted between $600 and $800 and maxium of 2 days to fix, meening i would have got the car back today. Anyways i took the car in on tuesday morning and the guy told me that the entire kit needed replaceing (Sump gasket, the plate containg the oil seal and the seal it self) Anyways they rang up today with the engine still out of the car and said that my steering rack is stuffed and is leaking fluid, which will need to be replaced, and that all the gaskets will def need to be replaced and it is now going to cost me $1800 and i wont get it back untill Friday arvo.

What i dont get is how something that was going to cost me a max of $800 has now gone up by $1000 just because the steering rack needs to be replaced which should be a much easier job now that the engine and box arnt in the car, i can understand that the price of the rack would be included in that (at over $400) but that doesnt explain why there in an extra $600 - $700 in labor.

This guy also says that he thinks the car wont pass roadworthy as it is too low, even though its only been lowered about 2inchs in the front and 1 inch in the rear. As soon as i get the car back it will never go with in 500 meters of this place.

Pete284

Banned
Reaction score
holy s**t, they're arseh**es. i'd be so pissed if i was you. did you even notice the power steering was leaking in the first place, or is he just trying to get some extra cash out of your pocket?

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
what a jip. RMS costs about $20 from holden, not sure about the plate. Rebuilt PS racks go for about 250 on ebay. shouldn't take one day to do both these, let alone a week, that's bullshyt. he only recommended new gaskets coz he wants your $$$, if you ok'd the work it's on you.
apparently, the early eco's (VS S1) had problems with the RMS plate, something about the hole being cast wrong, so new plates do diddley. just something to be aware of

hotrod32

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
Pete284 said:
holy s**t, they're arseh**es. i'd be so pissed if i was you. did you even notice the power steering was leaking in the first place, or is he just trying to get some extra cash out of your pocket?

I had noticed i little bit of red fluid when i got under it, not really on the ground as i was more conserned with the black sump oil that was there, the steering it self wasnt really heavy or anything, acually it was more lighter then heavyer. There isnt much i can do till i get it back as its in pieces at there work shop. When it comes back, names will be published and all will be enouraged never to go near em!

hotrod32

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
TheForgotten said:
what a jip. RMS costs about $20 from holden, not sure about the plate. Rebuilt PS racks go for about 250 on ebay. shouldn't take one day to do both these, let alone a week, that's bullshyt. he only recommended new gaskets coz he wants your $$$, if you ok'd the work it's on you.
apparently, the early eco's (VS S1) had problems with the RMS plate, something about the hole being cast wrong, so new plates do diddley. just something to be aware of

Yeah RMS Does cost $20 as i allready bought that. Entire kit including gaskets is about $120, i think.... It was acully my dad that spoke to em this arvo, so im not entirely sure, but this is what he told me. He is replacing all the rack etc with new stuff, and has allready got it half in, if he was talkin to me i would have told him to shove the rack were the sun dont shine and i would have done it my self.

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
The mechanis should only have done the work you origionally asked him to do. If you didn't request for him to do the Steering he should not have touched it without your prior approval. Tell him to put it back the way it was and as you only requested the Gearbox work that is all you want done for the quoted price, sounds like he under quoted on the gearbox just to get your car in there and then found other stuff it's an old trick but works for them 7 out of 10 times. Also ask for your old parts back you are entitled to them unless they used exchange parts, if they used exchange parts you should see it on your warranties. If he's a member of the MTA ring them with your story and be honest with them.

elljay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VS Berlina
Thats so fcuked up!! When i had my old VR i got the mechanics In kambah to take my engine and gearbox out, take another engine and gearbox out of a wrecked VR and put them into mine. Only cost $1000 in labour. So it shouldn't cost that much for you! I think i might have to stay away from your side of town.

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
Did he call and ask if you wanted this extra work done beforehand? Ie did you have a chance to say no?

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
This is a classic case of a mechanic underquoting a job to get the work and then after pulling the vehicle apart rings you up to get extra work from you. Its not only the mechanics fault but also your own as you already got two quotes and they were pretty close to one another you said. So surely if you get another quote and it is much less than the other two, in your brain it must tell you that they have to be short changing you somewhere. Why is it that everyone blames mechanics when really half the problems are actually from the customers themselves not understanding how complex and expensive these modern motor cars are becoming. Its the old saying you only pay for what you get!!! So stop bagging us mechanics and take a long hard look at your own practices!!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Mechanics are only human like the rest of us. If you want your car worked on by a good one then you must ask around and see what people say otherwise you are taking a chance. I've never been to a mechanic in 45 years of driving but that doesn't mean I have no respect for them. I've seen examples of what Hotrod32 has experienced many times and these cowboys who pull these stunts are not 'mechanics' but just what I'd call 'cardsharps' willing and ready to jump at the opportunity to take advantage of someone who is in a corner. All I can say it to try and make the best of the situation and learn from this experience. Don't carry a grudge 'cause life is too short to be carrying a load on your back.