Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FE2 Gas Shocks

M

Murmur77

I've had FE2 suspension fitted to my VSII - didn't get any gas shocks fitted at the time due to budget constraints (ie the other half moaning) ... when it comes to getting 'gas short shocks' does anyone recommend a brand? ... or is pretty much U just get what U pay for? Otherwise as it stands, any rougher with the FE2 running 18's and low profile tyres, my teeth are going to fall out from the ride ;)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I thought if you wanted FE2 suspension, you fitted what the factory fitted as FE2....so you'd fit factory gas shocks specified for FE2.....but thats just my opinion.

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
i thought gas shocks werent that good. a few people have told me that alot of them are too hard and cause an uncomfy ride

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Most new cars have gas shocks - the gas only stops the oil in the shocks from aerating meaning they don't lose their damping ability when worked hard. When they first hit the market they were aimed at sports cars because they performed better when things got tough so maybe thats where the story started that they always rode hard.

F

foammedia

They are much stiffer ride than oil only shocks. Only half of the reason FE2 is so stiff is the springs, the rest is the gas shockers. Take a fast ride in a stock VN with stock springs and oil shocks and you'll soon know about scary :p. But with FE2 they run flat as a pancake (almost). Factory FE2 shocks are Monroe GT, you can get them from Holden pretty cheap, just ask for some new FE2 shocks

M

Murmur77

Cheers for the response all, I got FE2 without really looking into what I was paying for -just going off what other people said (and I did want the car lowered of course) ... and everyone has a different opionion on what to do regarding it. Someone told me that the gas shocks would 'lower' it a little more as it seems to still sit a little high between the tyres and wheel arches.