Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

problem with fuel pump or tank

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
hey all,

ive got a problem with either my tank or my fuel pump. yesterday my petrol gauge was sitting on empty just on the red, so i went to tank up, filled it to full but only 46 litres went into my 58 litre tank. it even squirt out petrol when i kept tryin to put some more in.

also when the gauge sits on red the emergency petrol light doesnt come on, i can do a good 80kms before it starts flashin.

im leaning towards the fuel pump as the problem but my dad reckons there good be air in my tank

just wondering has anyone else had this problem before, any advice would help

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
When the red light comes on in mine, it will take from 46 to 50 litres to fill depending on how long I drive it with the warning flashing. I've never gone much more than 60km after the light comes on because if it runs dry there is a good chance of stuffing up the fuel pump. It pays to reset the trip meter at every fill just as a check on the fuel guage.
The owners manual says the warning comes on when 'approx 8 litres' remains - so that means about the 50 litre mark - if yours takes 46 litres it is only showing a 8% difference....

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
SaGe, there's nothing wrong with your car. It's perfectly normal. Just don't try run it empty everytime because it will kill your fuel pump very quickly.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Yea I dont think there is anything wrong with the car either. Wouldnt have anything to do with the fuel pump or tank anyway, more to do with the measuring side of it. Its not easy to measure a liquid as its splashing around.

Marco59

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs sv6
Sounds like a sticky or stuffed sender unit,maybe the float is buggered?

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Sounds like a sticky or stuffed sender unit,maybe the float is buggered?

Thread is 9 years old mate, i would hope they have fixed the problem by now.