Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Something funny going on with the key

cuckoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 twin Turbo
Hi i have a vr commodore there is something funny going on.

I press the button to unlock the doors no problem,i put the key in the ignition and it will not turn,untill i press the lock and then the unlock button again then the car will start.

i have to go through this sequence every time to start the car,has anyone had this problem or know what it could be.

Could this be a bcm on it's way out? or something wrong with the key head any help much apprecited
Cuckoo

J

Joes_meat

My VS is doing something simmilar. If I'm quick enough after unlocking the doors it will start, but if not I have to press unlock again.

No idea how to fix it undortunately.

Pete284

Banned
Reaction score
do you have the original head units? i'm pretty sure it has something to do with the immobiliser.

cuckoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 twin Turbo
Pete284 said:
do you have the original head units? i'm pretty sure it has something to do with the immobiliser.
head units as stereo? if so no aftermarket
Cuckoo

Pete284

Banned
Reaction score
that's really strange, because i've heard of it happening in several cases where thet immobiliser (which runs through the head unit) is not deactivated properley when you press the unlock key. so when you go to start it, the engine doesn't crank becuase the immobiliser is still active. so i have no idea if you have the genuine head unit.

J

Joes_meat

I had the same problem when I had the original head unit in. No different at all when I put my aftermarked head unit in.

Double G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
I had this problem once as well. When i replaced the remote on the key due to the rubber buttons worn through to the circuit board, it seemed to have fixed this problem as well. So i assumed it had something to do with the battery condition in the remote. Maybe you should consider replacing the remote on your key. I did mine through Mr Minute, cost approx $100.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
id say its probably an ECU problem

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Likewise.

Double G said:
I had this problem once as well. When i replaced the remote on the key due to the rubber buttons worn through to the circuit board, it seemed to have fixed this problem as well. So i assumed it had something to do with the battery condition in the remote. Maybe you should consider replacing the remote on your key. I did mine through Mr Minute, cost approx $100.

I had this problem as well. It went away when I got a new head for the key.

I reckon that it is a good chance to be this.

I got mine through Ebay for $65 already programmed.

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
umm how did you buy an already programmed key head? they kinda need to to be in the ignition of that car to progam them