Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Chip In Car

R

rickyray

When i bought my car i got told it was chipped not sure if it is or not or what sort. Should there be a huge difference in the pick up of the car. Where abouts do i look to see if it is chiped what are the steps.
Its a VR Statesman.

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
not a huge power difference with custom chips, heard its best to have chip dyno'ed on the car. but I got a el' cheapo one off ebay had sticker on the memcal (chip) saying performance etc.
Look in the computer in the left passenger kick panel, take two screws of module out I think and swing little door open, and memcal's there

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
proper chips do make a noticible difference and is one of the easiet mods to do on a commodore compared to most other cars. a good chip would giv u a good 20KW at the flywheel and they work better with more mods that u hav i.e extractors, exhaust, CAI.

with a chip, a V6 can beat a stock VS SS if it doesnt hav the 185 HSV chip

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
rickyray, have you got a V6 or a V8?

If you've got a V8 I can show how to check if it's the "off-the-shelf" 185kW HSV chip.

R

rickyray

its an 6 can ya still help
and thanks everyone else for your input

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
rickyray said:
its an 6 can ya still help
Yep, but it's not the answer you're looking for :(. There's no mechanical changes that go with a modified V6 memcal so there's no way the average joe can determine if it's modified or stock. Maybe if it's got extractors or a different exhaust it might be a hint but that doesn't guarantee the memcal's been modified. The only way to tell is with a dyno, or give the memcal to someone who modifies them to check if the code has been changed. Alternatively, find someone with the same car/engine combo as you that hasn't been modified (VR-VSIII V6 Statesman and it has to be a Stato because of all the extra weight) and see if you can feel any difference. Sorry I can't be of any more help. Send a PM to Doctor Bob if you want to take it further (he modifies chips in his spare time and is the resident expert).

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
take the memcal out & take a good clear picture of it from the same angle as my avatar & post it, i should be able to tell you from that if its stock.

Rob