Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cooling problem!

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Arg, well I'll tell you guys the story of my car so you can understand my problem.

Ok, I find my car is leaking oil from the sump gasket, badly. I ring up holden, they say $1000 to replace. I think ^#@& that, and ring up a local mechanic (good bloke, very reasonable), he says he could do it for half that, and also some other random things while he had the car lifted up. He did the engine mounts, harmonic balancer + belt, also also attempted to fix the radiator leak which he thought would be fixed by a new pump (even though the pump in it is < 6 months old). He replaced the sump gasket and changed over the harmonic balancer and belt, but when he came to fixing the cooling system, he found it wasnt the pump, it was leaking into the manifold (not good!). He replaced the inlet manifold gasket and it seems to hold pressure now under a pressure test. My car feels great now, the new engine mounts make the car shake a whole lot less, however..... now my water temp light comes on all the time! The car is running hot! It never did it before the service, and I just cant figure out why it would be running hot, if anything it should be running cooler!

As of now, there is no coolant leak to my knowledge (and no oil leak thank god), but my motor continues to overheat.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why it might be hotter after a service? Is there anything the mechanic could have accidently screwed up while he was replacing the inlet manifold gasket or water pump? Im really lost as to why this is happening and I really dont want my motor to overheat, I've spent enough money already.

btw the service he performed costed $700, and he had my car for a week, and put a LOT of hours into it (things kept going wrong as he was working on it), so he is very reasonable in not charging a fortune for it, but still the problem remains.

Any ideas guys? :b:

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
Famine said:
Arg, well I'll tell you guys the story of my car so you can understand my problem.

Ok, I find my car is leaking oil from the sump gasket, badly. I ring up holden, they say $1000 to replace. I think ^#@& that, and ring up a local mechanic (good bloke, very reasonable), he says he could do it for half that, and also some other random things while he had the car lifted up. He did the engine mounts, harmonic balancer + belt, also also attempted to fix the radiator leak which he thought would be fixed by a new pump (even though the pump in it is < 6 months old). He replaced the sump gasket and changed over the harmonic balancer and belt, but when he came to fixing the cooling system, he found it wasnt the pump, it was leaking into the manifold (not good!). He replaced the inlet manifold gasket and it seems to hold pressure now under a pressure test. My car feels great now, the new engine mounts make the car shake a whole lot less, however..... now my water temp light comes on all the time! The car is running hot! It never did it before the service, and I just cant figure out why it would be running hot, if anything it should be running cooler!

As of now, there is no coolant leak to my knowledge (and no oil leak thank god), but my motor continues to overheat.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why it might be hotter after a service? Is there anything the mechanic could have accidently screwed up while he was replacing the inlet manifold gasket or water pump? Im really lost as to why this is happening and I really dont want my motor to overheat, I've spent enough money already.

btw the service he performed costed $700, and he had my car for a week, and put a LOT of hours into it (things kept going wrong as he was working on it), so he is very reasonable in not charging a fortune for it, but still the problem remains.

Any ideas guys? :b:

I thought it would have cost you a lot more than that. Anyway, i'm not certain, but maybe something has gone wrong with your thermostat? I know it happens a bit on VN-VPs..

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
did the mechanic get all the air out of the system?
was the thermostat replaced
maybee could be a faulty sensor somewhere.
there are so many things that could make it run hot
then again it may not be hot it might just be a false reading
but id still get it checked out just incase

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
The inlet manifold gaskets he replace, were they the correct ones, possibly may have blocked the cooling ports?
But check the easiest things first, bleed system, check thermostat, is the temp guage working acurate?

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
Is the thermo fans running?

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
of the top of my head i say check ur thermostat.

oh btw, holden is always a rif off, they charge $420 for a major service, where i work we do it for $240

CHANDLC

BushBasher
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 V6 VS LEXCEN
hkmonaro68 said:
The inlet manifold gaskets he replace, were they the correct ones, possibly may have blocked the cooling ports?
But check the easiest things first, bleed system, check thermostat, is the temp guage working acurate?

Yeah that was the first thing to poped into my head:D

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Ok, Im going to drive to the mechanics place today and mention about the possibility of the wrong manifold gasket. I dont think its the thermostat as it was replaced 6 months ago along with the water pump.

One thing that is strange though is that he hasnt seemed to filled it with coolant?? The water in the overflow is CLEAR not green like usual. My guess is he either didnt use coolant, or used some sort of clear coolant (but Ive never heard of a clear coolant)

Either way Ill mention all these things and see what he has to say.

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
lol probably didnt use coolant, just topped it up with water

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Ok, problem solved :D

Turned out it WAS a dodgey thermostat! Even though it apparently was replaced not long ago. The mechanic didnt even charge for it, he was really helpful, this time he also flushed out the cooling system and topped it up with more coolant (the water is greener now :) ). This guy is good, I'd recommend him to anyone who lives near the Hawkesbury area, his business name is Rod Reeder. Anyway, all up it costed me $700 for sump gasket replacing, new harmonic balancer + belt, inlet manifold gasket, engine mount, plus of course the new thermostat at no charge!

Car runs well now, rarely went past 1/4 temperature today :) Plus the car shakes a whole lot less when I accelerate now, due to the new engine mount :)

Thanks guys