Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car jolts in reverse..

Blakie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94' VR Exec
Hey guys, only in reverse sometimes my car jolts a bit and is just in general rough, but when in drive it seems to work perfectly fine..

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
do you mean it clunks when you put it into reverse?
or your getting rough power distribution, resulting in a jolt under acceleration?

Blakie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94' VR Exec
um when i put it in reverse it takes a second or two sumtimes to actually like go, and sometimes i put it in reverse and it doesnt move until i give it some acceleration... then when i do it jolts back a bit?

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
i thought that was normal my car does it to one thing i reccomend not doing is trying to accelerate before reverse is fully selected cause it doesn't seem to like it very much well mine doesn't but if your car doesn't go into gear until you give it acceleration maybe there is a problem can anyone else comment on weather it is normal or not ???

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
hmm, what do the revs do during this? do they fluctuate badly or are they stable (like 800-1000)....
because it sounds like either a drivetrain problem (diff, uni joints etc.) or a power supply problem (spark,injectors,fuel system....although if it was this you would notice problems in both drive and reverse)
and then ofcourse it could actually be a problem with your trans....
just trying to figure out what its most likely to be from what your saying

Blakie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94' VR Exec
well i had my car serviced on sat.. maybe he just didnt put it in reverse therefore didnt notice the issue or im not sure, ill have to check the revs next time but it definately has no issues in drive, very smooth into gear

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The owners handbook which came with Commodores when new says to wait a second or two till the gear engages before touching the accellerator so it is pretty normal for this to happen. If you hit the pedal before the gear engages then you get a mighty thump (and possible damage)

Blakie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94' VR Exec
hako said:
The owners handbook which came with Commodores when new says to wait a second or two till the gear engages before touching the accellerator so it is pretty normal for this to happen. If you hit the pedal before the gear engages then you get a mighty thump (and possible damage)

yeh but sometimes i wait and it doesnt move at all...