Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

black smoke, oil/coolant loss, ping when cold

K

kremprod

ok, heres the go
vr series 2 commodore, 3.8 V6 reco engine done approx 30,000kms
most parts under the bonnet are new (bought a lemon, haha)
the problem started off with a few second small puff of black smoke on startup, everytime whether hot or cold, but was more smoke when cold with a rough low idle for about 1 second.

after troubleshooting this, ive cleaned the throttle body and ducting, and put a injector cleaner in my tank, replaced air filter. no difference.
note at this time i have recently ran my fuel past the warning light over the last month b4 filling up, which i know you shouldnt do, but couldnt afford petrol. also i have a transmission leak which has recently gotten quite worse and there is a significant amount of trans fluid on the exhaust.

ok, now the next problem comes into play, after all this, for the last few days when i start the car, hot or cold, i can hear the lifters tick tick tick only when giving acceleration, not when idling, for about 2 minutes, even when not driving. ive noticed with this, after the few seconds of black smoke from startup there is very faint white smoke, which seems to stop exactly when the ticking does (keep in mind its only when giving power, not idling that it ticks). almost all the radiator reserve tank coolant is gone, which was there the other day (white smoke was evident 2 days before any coolant loss)(radiators full), with no sign of a coolant leak.

so to put it short, black smoke on startup, then white with ping when revved for 2 min. sudden coolant loss days after problem started. exhaust covered in **** from leaks. no idea what to do.

(engine is approx 30,000kms, gem reco engine, under warranty)

any help would be greatly appreciated. i have read the other threads but they either dont address my issue properly or have tryed what they say and havent worked.

thanx

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I wouln't stuff around anymore trying to patch it up - it's still under warranty so take it back to the people who did the job. Be nice about it otherwise they'll make it hard for you to claim. Also maybe contact your local RACQ or similar if you are a member as they can give good advice. Good Luck.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
sounds like a head gasket for white smoke and loss of coolant

K

kremprod

yeah i will be stopping by the mechanic, but im just trying to work out where the problem is coming from and if its not to do with the main chunk of the engine thats under warranty i dont want to have to pay for something i can fix myself.
any further thoughts would be great!!
i doubt this would be anything major as its all like new (well i hope anyway)

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Could be leaky injectors causing the black smoke on start up followed by blue smoke. If the injectors dont open properly they could make your engine ping under acceleration because it wont get enough fuel. Pinging can blow head gaskets if it is real bad which could explain your coolant loss.