Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Riding on front Bump Stops

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Fulcrum did advise me that my front struts were riding on there bump stops and that they were fitted upside down. I didnt believe them...... But i had a look 2nite and sure enough the strut is hard up against the bump stop.

There is no upwards suspension travell at all!!!!!! I had a mechanic fit the struts at his joint for $50 but seems he has apparently fitted the bump stops upside down?

The car is by no means really low, just every day average lowered commo. Has any 1 else had an issue like this? Im going to pull the struts out this weekend n sus it out.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
Slow VR said:
Fulcrum did advise me that my front struts were riding on there bump stops and that they were fitted upside down. I didnt believe them...... But i had a look 2nite and sure enough the strut is hard up against the bump stop.

There is no upwards suspension travell at all!!!!!! I had a mechanic fit the struts at his joint for $50 but seems he has apparently fitted the bump stops upside down?

The car is by no means really low, just every day average lowered commo. Has any 1 else had an issue like this? Im going to pull the struts out this weekend n sus it out.

While your at it may aswell isntall shortened bump stops or modify the stock ones... they are only a few dollars from pedders....

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Yeah fulcrum said i needed shortend bump stops, but wat does every other commo driver that has there car lowered do. Do they have short stops? Surely u can just cut the standard bump stop down?

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
What if i piss the bump stops off altogether?? Just remove them!

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
for starters...bad idea!....they are there for a reason man, they prevent hard metal on metal knocks (suspension into body)...and its illegal not to have them.
im struggling to come to grips with you sayin they are installed "upside down"...as i cant see how thats possible...but anyway
i cant see any reason why you would need shortened bump stops...there must be something amiss if your riding them atm...as you have to go pretty low to touch them, and only really low cars need shortened bumps stops.
all i can say is have it all checked out, something isnt right

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
I cant see how they could be upside dpwn either? Im goin off wat fulcrum said. Took it in to pedders 2day they sussed it out, n yeah they reckon something is really wrong. Im gunna pull the struts out this fri n take em into them.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
if your car is riding on the FRONT bumpstops then your struts are beyond shagged and your car would be so low simply sitting in the drivers seat your k-frame would hit the ground. front bump stops can be installed upside down, as they just slip over the strut tube.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
The struts are brand spanking, fitted 2months ago. Monroe Gas. And its not that low either!!!

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Pulled the struts out yesterday n took em into pedders..... What a mess, for starters it had the wrong bumb stops in, they were way to long and you could see where the car has been riding on em. 2nd the dude who put these in is a mechanic who did the job after hours. The main nut that holds everything 2gether was loose on the drivers side and the strut bearing cap had seized onto the shaft because of movement. They had to air hacksaw both bearing caps off, luckily they didnt damage the shaft.

SO in the end i needed new strut bearings, bearing caps n bump stops. I had replaced the 1st 2 when the struts were fitted, so that was a waste of money.... They only charged me $60 labour, but the total was still $270.....