Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Colour

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
Hey guys
Ive used a few diffent types of oil in my car, Penrite, Castrol, Mobile, Penzoil and the oil that i put in always goes really dark with in a matter of a coupple of hundred Km's
every time i do a service i change the oil filter also....i even tryed using on of thoes engine flush adatives b4 a oil change too..and that didnt make a difference.

just wondering if anyone out there experences the same as me...or does your oil stay golden for a long while.

thanks guys
sean,

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Good guess, it's probably burning oil ? that's the only way it gets black, I bet it smells burnt ? there is likely to be blow by in the rings, IE oil is going both ways past the rings in the cylinders.

Time for a replacement engine, but try Nulon 15/50 full synthetic + a container of worn engine oil fix, before ya go too radical, the Nulon seems to stay cleaner for longer, if it goes black in less than 2,000 kms you do have serious engine problems.

Unfortunately the things cost a fortune to rebuild and never seem to work 100% again, grab a s/h one from the wreckers thats done < 150K if possible.

Last edited:

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
Thanks guys

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
How thick is the oil that you are purchasing? If you are getting stuff that is too 'thin' you may notice an improvement getting something slightly thicker, especially if you have the kms building up. I changed from magnatec to GTX2 (40/15) and noticed my oil stays a nice clear colour for alot longer.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The dark colour of the oil just means that the detergent in the oil is doing its job and keeping carbon particles and combustion by-products in suspension and not letting them clog your oilways. A thicker oil may 'seal' the engine better and reduce these deposits as Kopper69 says.

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
kopper69 said:
How thick is the oil that you are purchasing? If you are getting stuff that is too 'thin' you may notice an improvement getting something slightly thicker, especially if you have the kms building up. I changed from magnatec to GTX2 (40/15) and noticed my oil stays a nice clear colour for alot longer.

Mmm.....i was using penrite 20-60 but this time (today) just did a oil change and put in Shell Helix 20-50 which is more or less the same thing. Im going to give this oil a go and see how that one goes....Fingers Crossed

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
give Motul oil a try... recommend 4100 Power, viscosity rating 15W/50
Penrite always seems to get dark real quick, but then again, its a dark oil
Whats your fuel consumption like too, because if your cars runnin rich, its gonna contaminate the oil, making it go dark real quick!
I know dad's VS V6 oil gets dark pretty quick, whereas my oil in my SS says golden brown between services
both cars use the same oil (Motul 4100 Power) and have the same k's on the clock!