Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vibrating noise in steering wheel????

lasco

lasco
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
hey guys,
i got a problem and have no idea what is causing it. when im in drive or reverse and have the steering wheel turned about half way and release the brakes a touch so that the car moves slightly i get a really loud vibrating kind of noise from the steering wheel. anyone ever heard of this??
at first we checked the fanbelts and one was vibrating at the time so i replaced it and its just not made a difference. any idea?

lasco

lasco
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
i think i just found another thread with a similar problem, not sure if it the same as mine tho. the thread is 'steering rack probs...'.

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
when was last wheel alignment? when ur driving and u brake does ur car shudder? if so, then u need a wheel alignment.

lasco

lasco
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
nah it had a wheel alignment not 2 long ago, but that didnt do anything. its only when my cars going slow and turning, like reversing out of a driveway it always does it because im going slow and turning at the same time.

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
your tranny needs a fluid change

mine did the same thing until i dumped the tranny fluid and put some fresh stuff in

its a bitch of a job as theres no drain hole in the pan, so you have to drop the oil pan off and let it drip out for a while

then when youve done that, thoroughly clean out the pan with kero and clean off the magnet, which collects all the micro pieces of metal

then u need to fill it up with dexron III

you would be well off to buy a gregorys book on the vs

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
when was the last time you checked the power steering fluid? sounds to me like its a typical case of not enough fluid.

power steering fluid and auto trans fluid is the same stuff anyways, so if ya get some ATF Dexron III try just topping up the power steering for a start before you go getting messy and taking off the trans pan, and take it for a little drive and see if it goes away/gets better.

if it is that and the power steering is low, fill it up, turn the car on and turn the steering wheel left to right a few times and it should go away pretty much straight away. you might have a leak somewhere though, most of the time its just an old clamp on the end of the of the hoses, just have a look around and try to find any signs of red fluid around

let us know what it turns out to be

Pete284

Banned
Reaction score
yea mines doing exactly the same thing, i got a vs berlina. i went to check the trans fluid the other day and it was like below the cold low... so i went and got some fluid, gasket, filter etc.. and i'll service it on the weekend. hopefully it should come good...

F

flipsyde

i had same kinda problem i took the horn cover of and there was a peice of sh|t behind it. ..... some plastic peice of sh|t broken of from sum where now she all good