Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gas Conversion-upper cylinder lubricant

P

petwoofer

I have recently had an IMPCO gas conversion carried out on a VR and with it an upper cylinder lubricant provider by Flashlube to attempt to reduce valve seat burnout.
It has only depleted the container of the flashlube by about 1/10 of a litre in 1000kms.
Could anyone tell me if this the correct amount as to me it appears very small.

P

petwoofer

Regret amount I quoted was incorrect
It should have read 1/100 of a litre or 10 millilitres
curse this metric system

Anton

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0 VQ Statesman
how much are gas conversions on VRs these days?

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
I did the same thing for my VX mate.
Mainly for peace of mind.
And mine seems to be the same, i've done bout 2500ks since conversion and its nr one down much at all. . . .

I asked the guy who did the install , but forgot how long it should last for.

2 SL/ES

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT berlina
Gday mate on my vb commodore 253 I was told 6 to 8 drops per minute.also where does the flashlube conect to the engine on a v6 I dont have upper cyl lube on my vr yet. cheers

P

petwoofer

Conversion cost

Anton said:
how much are gas conversions on VRs these days?

Conversion for VR using IMPCO cost me $ 2000 plus about $85 for the Flashlube upper cylinder lubricant kit
Recommended amount of Flashlube is about ten drops per minute on idle which comes out to a ratio of 1 to 1000 by volume of Flashlube to LPG.

P

petwoofer

2 SL/ES said:
Gday mate on my vb commodore 253 I was told 6 to 8 drops per minute.also where does the flashlube conect to the engine on a v6 I dont have upper cyl lube on my vr yet. cheers

The recommended ratio of Flashlube to gas is 1 to 1000
The Flashlube bottle is marked in 50 mls so on my VR I use the volume between two marks every 1000 kms approx.
When I had the conversion done by a garage and the Flashlube kit installed it was done by inserting a tee into the tubing that runs from the inlet casting of the manifold to the fuel [petrol] regulator.
It was done with the tee set up so that any liquid in the Flashlube line would run down into the regulator so I changed it so that the tubing to the inlet casting from the Flashlube runs horizontal and the tee'd tube goes upward to near the bonnet then down to the regulator
I also changed the tubing to oil resistant and made all connections with sealant and clamps as the tubing was the wrong material, fitted poorly was kinked, and some joints were leaking and it dosed only 1ml per 1000 kms.
You can get installation instructions from Flashlube so I reckon it would be best to do it yourself
Regards

Last edited by a moderator: