Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help, overheating, drinking coolant

J

JTW008

Last night i was driving, happened to glance down, and my temperature gauge was sitting about half a centimeter past hot. Got home, checked was out of coolant. Filled it to the brim, same thing happened tonight, dead empty getting hot. Filled it with water and got home, but no idea whats wrong. Anyone know what the problem could be, and how to check, because i have no idea where to start, and no money.
Cheers, Jaycob​

J

Joes_meat

Hate to tell you but it sounds like head gasket.

Park the car over some white paper/cardboard. Start it up and leave it idleing for a while.

Hope it's a coolant leak.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
It's probably a leaky radiator...

Coolant dries with a white powder, so check for any white stuff around caps, the radiator, hoses etc.

J

JTW008

what would have blown the head gasket? How much will it cost me if that is the problem? I'll try and check that tomorrow in the light.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Check your thermostat. If the thermostat is stuck shut it will make your coolant go back into the bottle and then when the bottle is full it will overflow onto the ground.You should also check your radiater cap while you are going.

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5 Speed Wagon & VS Auto Wagon & 98 VS Statesman
well first when you loose your coolant i would be checking your oil level & color, if thats ok and there are no bubbles in the radiator when the engine is hot & idling ( cap off), i wouldn't think it wouldn't be a head gasket, idle your engine when it is hot and with the radiator cap on to create pressure build up inside the radiator, it is best to park your car on paper or concrete to see if you have any water leaks, if you cant see anything with the engine idling turn it off and do the same again, water will expand more when it is not circulating through the cooling system forcing it out through any leaks if you have any in the system, if still no good look at the thermostat

J

JTW008

Thanks guys. Had a look today in the light and fingers crossed its just the bottom radiator hose, which i changed today. It looked to be coming from around there somewhere.