Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Machining rotors, cost?

killuminati

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Vacationer
I checked my brake pads yesturday, and i definately need to change em, but i ran my finger over the rotors and they felt a little bumpy, how much would it cost to get em machined? Would it be very bad if i left it like that for now?

raff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Brunette, 5-10', 10D's, great personality
Machine rotors is usually around $60 per corner, worth doing if your getting vibration when braking

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Possbly not worth doing... slotted rotors around about $180/pair for the front at least. I know what I'll be doing next brake change (mine need machining too).

killuminati

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Vacationer

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
killuminati said:
Also, are bendix pads worth getting? $100 for front and back
dude you get what you pay for. most mechanics will stick bendix in coz they are cheap, but they are loud and low responsive. i got my rears machined and i got Lucas pads put on. Lucas are more expensive but you know the story with a commodores "they never pull up" well these pads did make a difference along with the machine. the only downside is brake dust. you see the europeans cars with a black front wheels and a silver rear wheels well mine is black at the rears and silver at the front

Jecs

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
i recommend ferodo pads, i had them on my vp, gripped really well, never faded, and no noise, onli thing is u get really dirty wheels from the brake dust, but they work really well; before i had the ferodo's i had bendix ones and i just could not get them to lock up , but when i put the ferodo's on i could lock it up when i stamped hard on brakes and stopped alot qwicker, my next pads for vs will be ferodos, also i recommend dba kangaroo paw rotors, as they dont heat up to the point where they warp and fade out, much better than std commodore ones.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
lock up abs? nice work... lol

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
mattman said:
lock up abs? nice work... lol

Thats what I was wondering! I thought the VS 1 calais had ABS and if so why are you trying to lock it up? Maybe it was in a diferent commy I don't know... but anyways, there's nothing wrong with Bendix pads. I've had them for years on the exec and now the calais. Don't forget Bendix have a few different versions... Not just general purpose.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
Jecs said:
dude you get what you pay for. most mechanics will stick bendix in coz they are cheap, but they are loud and low responsive. i got my rears machined and i got Lucas pads put on. Lucas are more expensive but you know the story with a commodores "they never pull up" well these pads did make a difference along with the machine. the only downside is brake dust. you see the europeans cars with a black front wheels and a silver rear wheels well mine is black at the rears and silver at the front

Jecs

wtf? shouldnt they be black at the front, because your front braked do 70-80% of the work??