Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to pull apart front guard for aerial

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
hey guys and girls, i wanna pull apart the inner front guard on the passenger side to access the electric aerial (which is broken). i went and got a quote from holden and he said the best price he can do for the mast and rope is $80.00. so i think i'll pull it apart and have a fiddle around first. anyone know how it's done?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
I can tell you how to get to it, I did mine recently. I only have a standard aerial though. You need to jack up the front wheel and remove it. Then undo the plastic screws along the wheel arch and then remove the plastic insert. You should now be able to access the aerial now.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
not sure if its any different on a vp but you dont have to take the wheel off. just take the out the screws in the arch from the bottom of the arch (aerial side) to the top and you can bend the plastic back towards the engine and get it to sit there. and btw, turn your wheels full lock right or left (whichever gives you more room, i cant remember).

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
Did mine the same way last month turned wheel for better access under some plastic screws pulled away the plastic arch and had access the the ariel.

deeranp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon
Berlinarator said:
i went and got a quote from holden and he said the best price he can do for the mast and rope is $80.00.

Go to Superchit and get a replacement mast and rope from Aerpro for about $27 or so.

/DP

lilkel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 BT1,VR 5.0l statesman
if the actuall motor for the antenna is still working is the mast and rope the part that i need to buy??

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
yeah they are the right parts to get. so you can still hear the little motor whiring when you turn it on and off?

I've done lots of vt - vy ones, it must be pretty much the same though

one you get access to the aerial unit, it will be easier to take it out to get the old mast and rope out. there should be a little screw cap thing that goes where the mast goes into the motor, take that off and you should be able to pull the old mast and rope out, it can take a bit of force though. sometimes the old rope has broken and is stuck in the motor but you can take them apart to get to it.

if you dont have to take it apart, to get the new one back in you need to have power to it still, turn the radio off and when the motor is going feed the rope in and it should grab it and pull it in, put that little screw cap back on and turn it on and off a few times to make sure it fully goes up and down (even if its not all the way down when you start, it evens itself out.)
then just fit the whole thing back up into the guard.