Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Door Lock Problem

J

JTW008

Hey, my rear passenger side door wont lock or unlock with the central locking anymore, any ideas to what it might be, i'll probably rip the door apart sometime this weekend and try and work out whats wrong.

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
could be anything to do with your door actuator, make sure all wires are secured properly, can you easily moved the lock up and down by hand?

J

JTW008

Yeh man works fine, just the central locking that wont work on it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Pull the trim off and make sure all linkages are not fouling and spray plenty of WD40 on the actuator unit. Also when re-fitting the trim, make sure the red part of the snib button or knob is not catching. Plus check the wiring as it is not unknown for the wire to break where it exits the door and goes into the pillar.

Johnny_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute
My Dad's VRII has the same problem. We gave up in the end. After all the replacements we figured it wasn't that important. We could not find the fault, but for some reason, this one door just keeps blowing actuators. There was always a problem from when the car was new, an intermittant fault that Holden could not pin point. They changed 2 actuators while under warranty, 1 just after the warranty was up then no problems for a few years. Then one day, nothing would open. Autoelectrician came, $700 later it worked again. Apparently it is not uncommon for VR and VS models to blow multiple actuators at once. 6 months later, 2 rear actuators blew again. I replaced these ones with 2nd hand actuators. 6 months later, rear door blew again, replaced, blew again, left it...

I checked through all the voltages, there were no spikes, nothing unusual, no shorts etc. Followed a fault finding guide form a service manual, again no sign of faults, even had an autoelectrician chack it out and again, no faults.

Its worth trying a second hand one from the wreckers around $40, swap it over and see how you go.