Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

auto trans oil leak

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
The auto in my vp has a bad auto oil leak and seems to be coming from near the front of the gearbox.
I first thought it was the pan gasket but I have changed it twice and it still leaks.Im thinking the o ring or gasket around the pump must be doin it.It isnt the converter seal ....it is fine
Has anyone had this o ring go on them? Or is there something else around there that goes.
To fix the oring, the box has to come out so I am keen to avoid doin that if I dont have to.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Stupid question I know, but are you sure it is trans oil and not engine oil. Your I.D. says you have a 5 speed???. If your auto has seen high miles then it may be nearing the end of its life meaning it may not hurt to put some "auto trans stop leak" which will soften and swell all "O" rings in the trans. Would be a lot cheaper and less hassle than pulling the box. Good Luck.

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
could be selecter

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
I have got 2 cars one is a vr manual and the other is a vp auto.I know this is a vr/s part of the forum but Imade a mistake .
The vp is leaking auto oil and I'm sure it is auto oil out of the gearbox.
If I clean it off and degrease it in two days there is a few drops on the floor and give it a week its is a pool .
Its definately from the front and at a quick glance it looks like the front part of the pan gasket but it isnt that.

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
could be oring in the seletor

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Check your tranny lines to your radiater, one of them could be cracked. It sounds like you had the tranny out so check that the fluid lines are tight and not cross threaded into the tranny(easy to do), also check your clamps and that the fluid isnt coming from the steering rack.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
All fixed now but it was a saga.
Had to take the box out and got the bush in the pump near the converter replaced ( it had moved forward) along with the seal, as well as the o rings ...no leaks from the front now....but the rear extension housing o ring has a slight leak now...but it isnt a hard job to replace that one.

raywise

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive 3.8 & VS Berlina 3.8
I just read this thread, but yep, thats where my leak was coming from as well. Front of the tranny, pump needed to be rebushed with new seals. All good now,

Hoo Roo