Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sometimes long crank

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
hey peoples, just wondering if you have any suggestions for my v6 vr commy,

the problem is, on average 2 out of 15 starts the car will take a lot longer to crank(5 secs longer).. the other times it starts straight away and is all fine, but when it takes a little longer to start, the car runs rough for a few seconds then if change into a gear the car hesitates and sometimes stalls..

its a 1993 vr exec automatic. ive checked for computer error codes and nothing.. ive serviced car, and ive cleaned throttle body and iac valve etc, have had holden reset base idle etc as well.

fuel pump filter and injectors have been replaced, ive had the fuel pressure regualtor changed about 6mths ago (i dont think its the prob as i can smell fuel in throttle body etc).

any suggestions? my valve stem seals need replacing but i cant see this the cause of problem.. i pick my worked heads and all gaskets etc up in 4wks, but i dont think its got anything to do with that, its prolly something small which is bugging me..

any help will be appreciated..

thanks,, Fitzy

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
also, the problem happens after letting sit for a while..

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Like glowing a diesel in a way, wait till the fuel light goes out before turning to start, the rail will be up to pressure by then, wait a few secs before starting it.

At a quick guess it does still sound a bit like a fuel problem, lack of, a fuel rail pressure regulator malfunction (because it was changed to a new or s/h ? for some reason).

Assuming also that the ignition system is 100% OK ? an intermittent faulty coil pack maybe.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Let Pressure Build Up

Probably a good idea to turn ignition on for a second or two before starting. If problem goes way, then it would seem to be a fuel pressure issue.

I had a similar problem when starting from cold. New battery and problem went away. Maybe the battery is down on cranking power, and it takes the fuel pump a while to build up pressure.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
the battery seems to be fine, the cca or woteva is right, the pressure regulator was replaced as i was hoping that was the only prob, turned out to be my fuel pump a wile back, but i prime the pump before i try starting all time. hm the coil pack is about the only thing that hasnt been replaced.. mite check it out, i dont think its battery issue, as when its cranking it seems to be very fast..

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
I had what seems a simiar problem a while back and it turned out to be the battery.
I thought it was something else aswell because it also turned over quickly and when i checked the voltager on the troip computer it read fine but it was still a problem so look into it try borrowing someone elses cause i havnt had the problem since i replaced it and it died so i kinda had to replace it.
Good luck