Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Petrol essence...

Alan Shore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 ED XR6 Manual
My VR II at startup has a rather strongish petrol smell. It is from the engine bay somewhere, and I notice that sometimes the smell actually penetrates into the cabin somehow. This smell is also present when I turn the car off and step out of the car immediately. I'm thinking it might be like a fuel regulator or filter or the choke is staying on too long...I doubt it is the fuel pump...but I would like to know what it is so I can fix it. Cheers...

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Is the smell definitely in the engine bay? After going for a drive, check the fuel lines for leaks, starting at the injectors and working your way back. Pay particular attention to joins and look for any moisture there. There are other possibilities but others on here would know more about those than me. Good luck.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
These type of smells can be very hard to track down as petrol evaporates very quickly especially on a hot engine. Check the charcoal canister near the radiator - maybe a hose has been knocked off. I'd be looking for the leak whilst the motor is running with a good bright lamp because then the petrol should be visible...or a wet patch as shaggerz says. They can get worse to the stage where a high pressure fuel hose will fail spraying petrol at 35psi over the hot engine .....kaboom!.....but looks like you won't let it get that bad. Good Luck.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
I can gaurentee it's not the pressure reg, coz mine has the same smell you describe and I put in new reg and damper about 1 1/2 months ago and it didn't entirely fix the problem (they were both stuffed and leaking, but there's more to fix)

Alan Shore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 ED XR6 Manual
TheForgotten said:
I can gaurentee it's not the pressure reg, coz mine has the same smell you describe and I put in new reg and damper about 1 1/2 months ago and it didn't entirely fix the problem (they were both stuffed and leaking, but there's more to fix)

Damn man...

You other chaps thanks...I'll start looking round my engine bay for some sort of leak or otherwise...just hope I can get it fixed coz I dont too much like a smelly car...had a VK with a fuel pump problem previously...god that was terrible...

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
only thing I can think of is the short rubber lines going from the firewall to the rail... I didn't replace mone when I did the reg (I wanted to, but needed the car on the road ASAP) so it could well be part of the problem for both of us. easy check to see if the reg is cactus - remove the vacuum line between reg and TB and smell it. if it smells like fuel it's time to go shopping

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
hako said:
These type of smells can be very hard to track down as petrol evaporates very quickly especially on a hot engine. Check the charcoal canister near the radiator - maybe a hose has been knocked off. I'd be looking for the leak whilst the motor is running with a good bright lamp because then the petrol should be visible...or a wet patch as shaggerz says. They can get worse to the stage where a high pressure fuel hose will fail spraying petrol at 35psi over the hot engine .....kaboom!.....but looks like you won't let it get that bad. Good Luck.

Yeah I would tend to agree with the charcoal canister suggestion, mine creates the same smell, but only on really hot days. It was suggested to me that the charcoal in the canister might have soaked up all the fuel/vapours that it could, and may need replacing...

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
I had n issue with a strong fuel smell, turned out to b the breather lines and the EECS lines were perished at the fuel tank filler neck junction point. Remove the inner wheel arch section on the RHS rear wheel n sus it.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
check diaphram on fuel reg i think you are right

kbn000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII (Lexcen) 1997
Yeah guys, i had the same problem, and so did another guy at work. check the fuel lines near the filler cap as sugested. mine were pretty much non existant - completely perished.