Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Injectors - Economy???

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Hey all,

Got a bit of a problem with my VS. Recently went in for a major service, had o2 sensors, throttle body cleaned out and whole fuel system checked for leaks but i'm still managing only 350 kms out of a full normal Exec tank. That's driving like a granny on a straight stretch of road! I'm wondering, could it be injectors that are playing up? I had this wierd ass rattle in the engine (when driving up hill) a long time ago, but then switched to premium unleaded and have never had it since! Another reason i'm thinking it may be injectors is when driving (rolling at around 55, 60km/h) and want to put my foot down to overtake, it seems there's a point between maybe 2000 and 3000rpms that the motor seems to flood and there's a drain in power, but only for a second or two! The car's got 217,000kms on the clock and the injectors have never been cleaned! If my lack of economy and power issue could be linked to injectors can someone direct me to a place in Melbourne's South-East that can take them out and clean them for a relatively cheap price. I got quoted roughly $300 by the joint that did my service! And if it doesn't sound like injectors would someone have an idea of what the problem may be. (I've also still got the original exhaust manifold and cat convertor on the car, replaced the rest of piping with 2.5" cat back. Only other engine mods are topgun leads and SS Induction CAI.)

Cheers all,
Boojakz

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
BUMP!!! Any ideas? Thanks...

elljay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VS Berlina
hey, when i had my old vr i wasn't getting many k's out of a tank. I got told to replace the rings around the injectors. I did this and cleaned them myself and all was good again. the rings i got from autobarn only cost abot $2.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I've never had injector problems despite using the cheapest fuel and oil available (yes, sometimes Home Brand) however, from what I've gathered it, would be pretty unusual for all injectors to block or foul at the same time, though on the other hand, and at your mileage, why not. Injectors seem to be fron $45 to $60 each new so if you were to get them cleaned they would have to charge maybe just over half the cost of new ones, times 6, which equals $300. Remember that the $300 will buy over 4 full tanks of petrol so you need to make sure it is injectors. Have you tried the 'injector cleaners' - some say they're OK and others say they're a ripoff....a bit like CAI.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
$300 is a bit pricey, I had mine done for around $250 and that included cleaning of the fuel rails and replacing of the seals and the replacement of one bad injector.

greatone

vuss
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
I got a quote for $220 and they come to u.

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
elljay said:
hey, when i had my old vr i wasn't getting many k's out of a tank. I got told to replace the rings around the injectors. I did this and cleaned them myself and all was good again. the rings i got from autobarn only cost abot $2.

Could you or anyone explain how replacing the rings improved economy.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
They can leak air into the inlet manifold???...this could upset the air/fuel balance and lead to increased fuel consumption???? My guesses.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
My fiance's 91 KF laser with 280,000k's was chugging like mad. It spluttered and would not accelerate at all up a modest hill. Replaced air and fuel filter and leads and plugs but was no better. Had the injectors professionally cleaned and it's like a new car and now has instant throttle response. Cost me $80 cos the father in-law has contacts :w00t: The injectors were pretty much clogged. It's a very gutsy car for a 1.8L injected auto.

catmerc01

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vs statesman v6
well i have a mate with a vs with the same sort of problem. he has fixed it. he swaped the engine ecu from a mates car and that sorted that. he found that it was the chip in the ecu, the memcal. you can get a brand new genuine one from a holden dealer for around 140.00. try that.