Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brakes dragging vr statesman

2wild4u

Reaction score
hi, ive noticed my brakes are dragging on my statesman, and if i pull the brake pedal up hard against its stop, they seem ok, there isnt any free play at the pedal though i have to really pull it up hard for them to not drag, has anyone got an suggestions? thanks

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
I refuse to suggest any brake work for safety reasons. go to a brake shop for assistance

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Its not hard to rebild calipres.
A kit is around $15 and replaces the rubbers, you also grease the slides and I also replace the fluid annually.
Its not rocket science but you really need to understand the braking system, have a big container of white spirits, a clean environment and some patience. Istarted doing this after sitting outside a mechanics workshop and watching hime do mine, it took about 40 minutes per side, then bleeding took about 10 minutes, then he charges me $400 for a full rear brake service. The same service takes me less time and costs around $85 for the kits, pads and a new bottle of high quality fluid.
A Gregorys or Haynes go through it step by step.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd also check that the actual brake pedal bearing at the fulcrum point has not seized as you should have some free-play in the pedal. Also eyeball around the pedal area for anything that may be preventing the pedal returning. If your brakes are actually dragging then they will get very very hot. And as TheForgotten says, its a safety issue and if unsure go to a brake place.