Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Fuel Regulator

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
Can any1 tell me if its hard to change fuel pressure regulator, and how to do it, eg where it is, how to take out and put new one back in , as im looking to changing it this weekend cos my dad said it shouldnt be hard to change myself...any help would be great.

P.S. also how much would they cost and where to buy, soz bout all the q's,lol

Thanks
Jamie

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Fuel pressure regulator is on the rear of the drivers side fuel rail. Just a matter of removing the hoses & undoing the screw that holds it in. There will be an "o" ring on it that you should replace as well.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
ohh ok sounds alright, does a new regulator come with an o ring?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Make sure you depressurize the fuel system by running the car with the fuel pump relay removed till it stops then remove the battery negative terminal. If you don't take these precautions you may get sprayed with fuel under pressure and one spark will light it. Also you may need to make a tool or buy one to remove the hoses.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
new reg doesn't come with new o-ring - will cost about $4 extra.
it'll be a biatch to pull out, coz they're mage to fight tight - just be patient, and use a flat blade screwdriver for extra leverage if needed

hako - not sure about vs's but vr's just use regular hose clamps

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
No hose clamps on the VS - push on hose with 'O' rings. Great for the production line but a bugger to remove.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
on w/e i reset my IAC valve(btw was covered in carbon) and it seems like it has helped with the starting, still think i need to replace the regulator as my mech rekons that wat the major part of the problem is, when i do it ill post up if it rectified my prob.

now tho im getting a whistle coming from intake around 2000rpm(never b4 or after 2000) under load(similar to the one i used to get with the vp after i installed pod) after i fully cleaned out tb and intake plenum ,reset iac valve , is it because its all clean and ive got k&n and cut the whole bottom section of my airbox im getting that sound? cos i dont think its a vacuum problem as revs arent fluctuating, it used to make a similar sound before but not as loud, any ideas???

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It's not the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator disconnected from the manifold is it?....that would cause a whistle and make the fuel regulator appear buggered.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
VS Commodores are slightly different to that of previous models...
depressurise the fuel system by removing the fuel pump fuse while the car is running.. start it another time just to make sure its fully depressurised

remove the vaccum hose attatched to the regulator (the smallest hose attatched to the top of the regulator)
there is a phillips head screw that holds the regulator to the rail (insted of the 10mm nut they used to use)
it is also held in by some thread locker which makes it more difficult to remove.
make sure you know how to remove the return fuel line or have the right tool to do so (around $5 and makes life so much easier)

then remove the unit from the vehicle... i replaced mine with a genuine item, as i purchased the bosch equivilant, which didnt fit
the genuine one comes with the return line attatched
just make sure you use some thread locker on the screw when you put it back in (permatex blue thread locker is fine)

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
hako i think u might be onto something with that, because the vacuum hose from the fuel feg is the one that hooks onto the gold pipe coming out of the bottom of the throttle body right???? im thinkin of replacing that hose as it kept coming off when i was putting the throttle body back on