Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you fix THIS???

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
When i was lookin through the stato-dash conversion thread i noticed in the pic "monster matty" posted he had a bend in his airbag panel on the pasengers side. iv got the same porblem in my car (since i bought it) but its slighty more bent than this one. hoe on earth does tis happen and how can you get a new one to replace it??? cause atm i hav to have a dash matt on it to cover it caus eit looks so ugly!:(
hopeing someone knows, cheers jesse.

Attachments

• ripped-airbag.jpg
    ripped-airbag.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 521

VSSPak

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VS S Pack
yeah, pretty sure the sun does that. I'd take it to holden if your gonna be dealing with air bags....

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
so its a normal thing, that happens from heat and age??

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
yeah quite sure it's a prone thing for vs's my mum's wagon did it to and i've seen other posts and stuff that other people's cars have done it to. i'd just take it to motors i think they should be able to replace it for you and yeah pretty sure it's the sun that does it so when you get a new one make sure you keep a dash mat on it to reduce the risk of it happening again

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Hey go me :p

Just about every vs with airbags has the same problem. It still functions, just looks butt ugly.

The new cover costs about $160 from holden, and takes a couple of hours to fit as you have to take the dash out. I wouldn't bother with 2nd hand as it's just going to happen again.. and a whole lot sooner than with a new one.

Mines not too bad... so I am just putting up with it for now.

VSSPak

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VS S Pack
when my parents had their vs a few years back it was always parked in the sun or driveway, so the airbag done that same thing as that pic and became as loose as jenna jamesons snatch.

My VS atm, had had a dash mat for years and is fine, so yeah is the sun.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
k, cheers guys will get it checked out @ holden. thx gain

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
Do you guys realise that the cover should NOT be covered by a dash mat? You should be using the ones designed for the airbag, which have a piece cut out of them to let the airbag function properly.

So with the correct dashmat, the cover will still be exposed to the sun.

Unless you have a mat with an extra section of carpet for the cover... if so, please tell me what brand so I can get one, because my cover is still fine and I want to prevent it lifting

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Yeah, most VS I've seen with passenger bags have this problem. I would certainly just be taking it to holden to have it replaced, there is definately NO point in trying to bend it back, or stick it down. The last thing you want is for the airbag to not deploy properly in an accident, because of a dodgy repair to the cover.

For the sake of $160, I would just be getting it replaced straight away, for peice of mind, and invest in a windscreen sun shade thing, and hopefully you won't have any troubles in the future!

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Luckily for me this aint a problem as the previous owner had installed the proper two piece dash mat and most probably kept the car undercover alot... the air back dashmat slips around abit and I was paranoid of the sun peeling my airbag cover so what I did was to sew the top edge of the mat which covers the air bag to the other piece of dashmat so it acts like a flap so if the airbag goes off it wont be hindered.

To fix yours up... you'd need to get a replacement cover...
This is the proceedure to remove the dashboard...I presume you need to do this to work on the airbag cover

[1] Before you start disconect your battery
[2] then take out the no18 fuse from under your dash
[3] then undo the 2 yellow plugs for the air bags...one is up under ther dash to the right of the steering column the other is at the bottom of the steering column plastic shroud.
[4] remove the glovebox by removing the hinge pin in the right hand side
[5] remove the centre console
[6] start undoing every damn screw you can find you must take out your whole lower dash
[7] remove screws holding in your instrument cluster
[8] partially remove cluster, disconnect wiring and fully remove.
[9] remove screws holding fuse panel, remove screws holding support brace and remove brace
[10] remove demister grill retaining screws and prise the outer ends of each grill to release the clips
[11] where fitted remove the tweeter speakers
[12] remove glovebox compartment base panel
[13] disconnect heater ducts on drivers and passenger sides and remove ducts
[14] remove bolts holding dash down under the demister grills
[15] remove bolts from under dashboard end covers
[16] remove screws retaining dashboard to centre support bracket and steering column support
[17] disconnect main wiring connectors next to the bonnet release lever
[18] finally remove the dashboard
[19] I presume you can work on the cover now and see how it is attached to the dashboard
[20] install is a reverse proceedure

Last edited: