Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Auto Stalling

sicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS - Series 2 / Karma
Hey fella's!!

I'm having some trouble - and would greatly appreciate any help!!!!

Okay- when i leave work each night i have to drive home in peak hour traffic, so all is good, but then occasionally, like once/twice a week will be at the lights or even driving at 100km/h on the monash and the engine will make a flutter sound and stalls, it then wont start straight away, cranks over hard and usually have to wait a few mins to get it going again...

now this is a pain as i drive home down springvale road etc and its bumper to bumper, so if it does stall and not start again man i dont wanna have to push it!!!

There is also a whining noise coming from the engine too, like the whine u get in your car speakers.. but its louder & from the engine.. i had a new alternator fitted last boxing day, so was thinking it could be that??

If it helps, i havent serviced the car for 8months, and may have a very dirty pod filter...

ANY HELP whatsoever would be awesome guys..... ;)

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 exec, big pajero, 5speed vn v6 play car
Kind of sounds like your crank angle sensor could be on the way out. Once they get hot they start playing up untill they are stuffed and it wont go anymore.

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Yeah sounds like CAS, get it replaced ASAP or if worst comes to worst pour water over it, it is situated behind the harmonic balancer on the passenger side, it's this small plastic bit.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
and if you got the money get a service done too :p 6mths or 10 000km which ever comes first is the interval i think

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
Yep...CAS!!!! mine used to do the same thing...absolute pain in the ASS!!! cost me $58 from Holden (Trade Price though) and isnt too hard to fit if you have the right tools...

sicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS - Series 2 / Karma
Heyyy!!!

Whoa thanks heaps guys for your feedback!!! Ill get it done asap! so i guess im looking at around $100 fitted??

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
sicko said:
Heyyy!!!

Whoa thanks heaps guys for your feedback!!! Ill get it done asap! so i guess im looking at around $100 fitted??

Closer to $130 fitted, from the dealerships. I had mine replaced about 2 months ago, and the car has been fine since. Started off just like what you describe, occaisionally stalling, but then the third time it happened, my car wouldn't start, just kept cranking and cranking. Ended up leaving it for a little while, and did get it started again, thankfully.

The CAS itself is about $90 i think, but I would recommend getting a mechanic to change it over, undoing the harmonic balancer isn't easy if you don't have the right tools, and it also has to be tightened up to something like 300Nm or so, according to the gregory's manual.

sicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS - Series 2 / Karma
yeah cool as man- thanks for that-!

ive had a few times when its started again straight away and perhaps like 3 times when its taken like 10mins to get going again- thats why i was confused- as it stalls, wont start for awhile, but when it does its as good as gold.... !!

Well hopefully this will fix the problem!!! haha im excited now to go get it done!!!

THANKYOU!!

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Why pay some 1 to do it, if ur a male then there is a good chance u will be able to do it ur self!