Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

radiator cap pressure

S

student

Hello
I was just wondering whether anyone can help me with this. I have a vs commodore executive sedan (1996) v6 and I would like to know what the correct radiator cap pressure is, I can't find it in my holden manual. Thank you.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
its written on the top of the radiator cap...i cant be bothered goin and seeing what it says....but if you have the correct cap fitted it will tell you on it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
VS pressure cap is 135Kpa

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
do they leak causing coolant level to drop?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Thge cap has 2 seals - (1) is a pressure seal (135Kpa) which vents coolant to the overflow or header tank as the coolant expands, and (2) is a cap seal which seals the cap itself on the radiator and makes it airtight so that when the engine cools it can suck coolant back from the overflow tank.
Seal (2) can leak coolant but this will be easy to see around the cap itself. If the pressure seal leaks then the coolant will boil earlier as it will not be operating under pressure....but this should not cause a leak. Most probable cause of loss of coolant in VS seems to be waterpump - look under the waterpump and above the harmonic balancer for dried coolant residue. Good Luck.