Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

gotta leak

slappa.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
i noticed the other day my vs had left a few drops on the floor. can anyone help me? dont know much about cars. it looks like one of the bolts has come loose.
is it any thing major or does it just need screwing up

cheers

Attachments

• car 001.jpg
    car 001.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 161
  • car 002.jpg
    car 002.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 155

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Look like sump gasket. Just tighten and hope for the best. It looks like some of the gasket is missing. You could put some silastic or gasket goo into the gap before tightening.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
That bolt looks like a self-tapper....didn't know they were used for the alloy sump on a VS. If there is a 5mm gap at that corner only then something strange must have happened to the sump.

slappa.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
is it something urgent to be done or can it wait a day or two? would it **** anything?

slappa.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
got under there the other day and did everything up cleaned it and all.. looked under there tonight and its still leaking.. is this to do with the trans?
and wats the go with that anyway is it to drain oil out of cause theres a hole at the bottom... ( yew i know heaps about cars!)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It looks like your photo is taken at an angle which initially made identification of the problem "hazy" and the bolt that is "leaking" is one that holds the inspection cover over the convertor housing. This cover does not have any seal as its only purpose is to cover a rotating torque convertor from getting mixed up with road debris etc. I'd tighten up the bolt as it clearly is loose. As to it leaking oil, it cannot be transmission oil as the pan is a good 200mm lower, so it must be engine oil and as that cover does not act as a seal then the oil is coming from somewhere else. From the picture the leak is not bad or terminal....maybe it is leaking from somewhere else and appearing there???
If it was me I would firstly tighten the bolt, secondly spray some degreaser over the area to clean it properly and thirdly I would check it again in a few days. Remember that most cars leak or weep a bit of oil....its a fact of life. Take some pix after a week and post. Good Luck.

slappa.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
cheers mate... will do. i would hit the thanks if it was still there??

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
vswagoon said:
cheers mate... will do. i would hit the thanks if it was still there??
I must be dumb - what is this "thanks" thing? - I've been away for a fortnight so please excuse my ignorance. Regards

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
What thanks thing??