Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! Im going crazy!

cacaman

Red is Faster
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Acclaim
I got pacemakers fitted to my car, it took agez and after it was all done there was a problem. It idles fine but when driving its as if the car is coffing and chocking and the more i accelerate between 2 - 3 rpm it coffs so much it rattles and shudders, like a repetative coffing noise,(vrrrroooommmmmcoffmmmcoffmmcof,cof,cof,cof,cofmmmcofcofmmmmm) it scares the **** outta me because it sounds so wrong and i have no idea what it is. It feels as though the actual headers are not flowing correctly and are creating an incorrect smooth air flow so the more i accelerate is shudders. If i accelerate easily its fine.

I took it back to the exhust place and they thought it was the leads so they pulled em off and put em back in and it was the same thing, next thing they said that the car needs to be tuned so they told me to come back on tues for a tunning at there other store.

WTF is that? do changing headers/extractors realy result in shitty acceleration and require another tune?

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
I wouldn't think that by just putting Headers on would make a car do funny stuff, I have put Headers on a couple of cars now with no bad things happening.
I would suggest that maybe when the guys put the headers on they have knocked a plug or lead off the motor harness maybe, or maybe they didn't put the Oxy sensor back in, do you get the engine light on or have you fault coded it. Are the Headers blowing if they are they may not be sealed properly.

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
the leads may be fine but mine did this a little while back and one of the coils had died

cacaman

Red is Faster
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Acclaim
I actualy saw them put the 02 sensor back as for the any other plugs or leads it looks fine. As for coils how much did this cost stupa?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Coil pack and DFI module that they sit on can be expensive. Your best bet is to get a multimeter from dick smith and a manual. You can measure the resistance of the leads and the coil packs. If the guys have pulled the leads off by grabbing the lead instead of the boot of the lead they may have broken the wire internally. This will show up on you resistance measurement. We can help you using a multimeter. Start simply my friend. Leads may look fine, but that does not mean a thing. Definatly do the fault codes check.

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
if it is a coil, from memory mine was a coupla hundred bux fitted, so its a good idea to check first, a multimeters what, 25 bucks or something?

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
A cheapy dick smith one will cost about that, but flukeys cost something upward of 600 dollars i think.

J

Joes_meat

Definately check you're O2 sensors. I've heard of a lot of damaged O2 sensors when extractors are being fitted. Dropped, over heated (with custom headers.)

V

VS U-BUTE

I think you will find that the guys who put your extractors on banged a spark plug and cracked it, I have the exact same problem with mine 6 new spark plugs no problem, By the way I checked the plugs and could see no problem but replacing them fixed it

cacaman

Red is Faster
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Acclaim
I found the problem.

It happened to be the leads, they were buggered, well i havent changed them since i got the car which was almost a year and a half ago, also the spark plugs were buggered, but i got a tune from another block about 3 months ago i obviously got taken for a fool, i'll be visiting him real soon. They car runs much much better now, i got a tune, with spark plugs, leads and air flow sensor changed for $150 does that price sound allright? i was quite happy with it.