Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 Mods, wadya reckon?

Cannon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR-94
g'day all, looking at spendin a bit of money tidying the old girl up and makin her run a bit harder, so far i've got this list of things i wanna do:

V8 Throttle Body
Exhaust (hi flow cat, sports single system with dogleg muffler).
Stage 4 Turbocharger kit from http://www.snortperformance.com
Intercooler from http://www.snortperformance.com
Bigger Injectors
K&N Air Filter
Not sure what cam would suit this package. (suggestions needed)
Chip to suit this package
Whiteline suspension kit
PBR performance brake upgrade kit
3 MSD pn8224 coil packs + MSD Pro Race 8.5mm leads http:///www.a1hiperformance.com.au/docs/products.php?prod_id=305

Cheers

Last edited:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
well thats a start i spose....how much psi you plannin on runnin?
also how old is the engine (how many k's)?...you may need to get new valve springs, lifters and while your muckin around there you may as well get some roller rockers too.
the cam needed would most likely be a custom job to suit...unless this Snort performance place does cams to go with their turbo kits....you'd be wise to get some new timing gear as well.
as for ignition...you'll be hard pressed to find anything better (at the price) than msd ignition gear.

Cannon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR-94
I've heard of stock Vr's running 9psi no probs, so i'd be lookin at 9-10 psi.
The old girls done 243,577km.
I've heard they don't make roller rockers for the buick motor, inform me if i'm wrong.
i found an MSD package (3 pn8224 coil packs + MSD Pro Race 8.5mm leads for $275)that i've added to my list.
What timing gear do you reckon i should get?
also how many lb/hr are stock vr v6 injectors, and where would i get bigger ones from?

cheers

jNINE

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
I have a 'couple'
Surely at 243,000 km you should be looking at a little more than just bolt-on mods. The main bearings, cam bearings and end float, rings & valve guides would all be showing their age by now.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
jNINE said:
Surely at 243,000 km you should be looking at a little more than just bolt-on mods. The main bearings, cam bearings and end float, rings & valve guides would all be showing their age by now.
EXACTLY what i was thinking.
anyway, cannon...i think crane makes roller rockers for the buick...someone does anyway, because i know people who have them on their vn's.
those msd coil packs are the go....but unless you know what your doing i wouldnt muck around with the leads...you need to make them yourself, they dont come pre-made for commodore engines.
timing gear is an easy choice....rollmaster timing gear and chain.
as for the injectors, im not sure what people use on the buicks for forced induction...if it were a ecotec id say to get L67 injectors.

Cannon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR-94
ofcourse i'm gonna renew a few internal bits but i'm not doin anything serious. coz i gotta draw the line somewhere before i end up spending too much money.
As for the leads, i found a package on www.a1hiperformance.com.au which includes 3 MSD pn8224 coil packs + MSD Pro Race 8.5mm leads for $275.
Cheers for all the help so far. Keep the info coming!
Thanks guys

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Cannon said:
As for the leads, i found a package on www.a1hiperformance.com.au which includes 3 MSD pn8224 coil packs + MSD Pro Race 8.5mm leads for $275.
my comment still stands...you have to make the leads yourself, they dont come pre-made for commodores...the kit consist of the parts needed to make them DIY.

Cannon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR-94
my comment still stands...you have to make the leads yourself, they dont come pre-made for commodores...the kit consist of the parts needed to make them DIY.

cool man, i'll probly give em a miss then.
does anyone know where to get roller rockers from or the part number for them? i've checked the crane site and can't find anything!:bang:
cheers