Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN V8 into a VS V6

Holdenboy_VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLOWN VS
lookn at buyin a vn with a v8 so i can put it into my vs which is currntly a v6 cos i want more power...... jus wondering if u guys know whether or not it would be a straight swap..... there both auto's.... the vn is an ex cop car BT1 series 2 last of its kind..... any help will be apreciated :driving:

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
You can upgrade old vehicles with newer technology but you can't upgrade new vehicles with older technology etc engines, that is what I was told.

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
just keep the vn v8 stuff putting it in a vs and no its not a straight swap as the vs is a 6 and im sure you gonna need certificate for that and the cost if you really want a vs get a v8 it would be cheaper

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
you would have no legal dramas using a vn 304 as thats the same engine the vs came out with anyway.
as for a whats needed in the swap...the trans for starters, the vs trans is electronic, the vn's isnt...you would need shift patterns mapped out to use the vs's 4L60E trans with the 304 (along with new tuning for the v8 obviously).
ontop of that you would need an engineers certificate, to get this you would need to upgrade your brakes and suspension to standards found on a v8 of the same model.
the rest is pretty straight forward as long as you have all the gear needed.

dale-jcf

Reaction score
You shouldn't need to get an engineers certificate as long as you use the same computer for that engine in that year model. It used a different ECU in the VS V8 compared to the VN. You need this anyway as the ECU needs to talk to the BCM to allow the car to start. The engine will be using the same pollution gear as the VS V8 anyway as most of the requirements are met by the ECU. If you want to check this with a decent engineer, they would probably be able to tell you if a certificate is needed. The RTA might even be able to tell you.

As was mentioned, you will need the automatic transmission from the VS or VR V8 as they were electronically controlled. If you don't want to do that you could probably get away with using a manual Memcal and wiring (assuming they are different?) with the auto transmission from the VN.

Just keep in mind that they use different radiators, aircon compressor and piping, and probably other stuff. I don't know how the crossmember works in these things so I am not sure if they are different or not.

The brakes used on a SII VS are exactly the same on V6 and V8. I don't know about series I.

I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring you have with the VN V8 is the same as used on a manual VS V8. I also think the ECU is the same on Vr V6 as the VS V8.

Hope this helps.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i beg to differ about the need for an engineers certificate...in order to register the vs a certificate would be needed to prove the swap from v6 to v8 was done properly and safely....even if your using an engine found on that particular model they wont just let you swap it without one.

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
I am currently doing a V8 from a VS into my VS ecotec and you do not need an engineers certificate.
You will however need the following but if you have a doner car it should be fairly straight foward:
Engine K-Frame X-member, Radiator, Front Springs, V8 Tacho, V8 fuel Gauge (if the VN has a larger tank use it), External Fuel Pump, Tailshaft and some small stuff Hoses Etc.
I don't know about the computer but you should be able to use the Vn 1 I think if you can you could use the Gearbox that's on the V8 motor I would think. If you use a 4L60E you will need the Gearbox X-member. Diff shoulf be OK but you could use the Diff from the doner this would allow you to use the whole drive train from the V8.
Brakes are same on the V6 and V8 but I am thinking of going to VT brakes.

dale-jcf

Reaction score
sircruisealotVS said:
i beg to differ about the need for an engineers certificate...in order to register the vs a certificate would be needed to prove the swap from v6 to v8 was done properly and safely....even if your using an engine found on that particular model they wont just let you swap it without one.
I guess the way to check it is call the RTA (if in NSW) or an engineer and ask. I know when I got an engineers certificate there was no way the engineer can tell what computer has been used or anything else. In this case the brakes are the same, and the suspension is the same apart from the springs used in the front, which shouldn't make that much difference just maybe a little lower.

The blue-slip is meant to pick up any engine number changes and any obvious defects.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
what do you mean there is no way to tell...it says right on the front of the pcm what engine and trans type its for...and all you would have to do to find out what the car came with from the factroy is to look at the vin no. which will say v6.

dale-jcf

Reaction score
Yeah, you could assume that the computer has the right memcal based on the sticker on front of the box, but that proves nothing. You could have the most fuel inefficient or polluting program and there'd be no way to check unless it did an emissions check.

My engineer didn't check the PCM label, but just asked if I used the same computer that the engine came with. If I tore the label off the PCM would it suddenly require an emissions test? What about if the same computer is used across different models and configurations? On Commodores the same PCM is used on heaps of different cars? "Why are you using a Camira computer on your VN V8?"

Let me ask this, have you actually asked anyone at the RTA or and engineer if you can do this or are you assuming a lot of things?