Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan not working

C

croz

I have a VR Berlina and I can't get the fan for the heater, air con to work. When you press the fan speed button on the dash you can here the circuit breaker under the bonnet clicking indicating there is a circuit but no fan. I have replaced the breakers, fuses etc, to no avail. Can anyone give me some insite as to what the prob may be and how I can go about fixing. I certainly don't want to take it to Holden as I will probably need to take out a second mortgage for the reapirs. :king:

Croz

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Let me know how you go, i made the how to guide up on repairing the fan / fan speed resistor and will be happy to help you get it going again.

C

croz

Hey Kopper69, I found the write up you did on the fan resistor, unfortunately mine is out of a Berlina with climate control. The offending part is quite different to what you describe, it has a solid state circuit board with 17aluminium fingers like heat sinks that are 3.5 cm long. Holden inform me that they are $186 to replace and will not refund if it is not the offending part.

Going to the wreckers in hope of getting one there.

:bow: Thanks for the help

Croz

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
croz said:
Hey Kopper69, I found the write up you did on the fan resistor, unfortunately mine is out of a Berlina with climate control. The offending part is quite different to what you describe, it has a solid state circuit board with 17aluminium fingers like heat sinks that are 3.5 cm long. Holden inform me that they are $186 to replace and will not refund if it is not the offending part.

Going to the wreckers in hope of getting one there.

:bow: Thanks for the help

Croz

I had mine replaced last year, about $140 for the part. The one advantage with Holden doing the work is that it comes with a 12 months part & labour warranty on the job. Maybe also check the fan motor itself, maybe there is an issue there?

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
I saw the fan resistors on Ebay the other week for around $40 new
Easy job to replace.
Repco are cheaper than GMH and the newer reelays are a lot more user friendly, solid state, not wire loops

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
theburna said:
I saw the fan resistors on Ebay the other week for around $40 new
Easy job to replace.
Repco are cheaper than GMH and the newer reelays are a lot more user friendly, solid state, not wire loops

Just searched on Ebay, those $40 odd ones are for the NON climate control models, which use a fan resistor. On climate control models, you need a fan amplifier, it basically does the same thing, but is a completely different part due to it being part of the CC. The main difference is that in the auto fan speed mode on the CC there is a large number of different fan speeds, as opposed to the 1 2 3 HI speeds that the fan resistor on non CC models provides.