Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP.... Top end knock!!

B

bigwang

Hey guys,

Great site................ (1994 vr V6 exe auto) I have just got my manifold gasket changed and about 1 week later I'm getting a slight top end knock. BUT it only happens when the car is warm (Normal running temp) and at idle. In neutral the knock is isn't loud but under load in drive or reverse the noise is louder. I tried buy changing the oil with 20-50w, but still no change. Most of you guys / gals know you stuff, any feedback will be much appriciated!

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
Hi Bigwang
not sure what sound exactly ur talking about but if its a clicking tapping kind of noise , sounds abit like tappets check your ignition leads, make sure their all sitting fully in and locked over the spark plugs and coils... a mate had a tapping noise on he's VT that sounded like something on the top end was knocking ended up being the leads. Just a thought........

B

bigwang

Thanks for the reply. I need all the help i can get
Me and a few of my mates had a good look at it. the sound is costant but cant be heard over the engine at higher revs. I have narrowed it down to two things. 1. its the harmonic balancer (The car has done 300 000 k's) causing the car to knock. 2. its a bottom knock and my engine is screwed. But i havent lost any power. the car runs perfect. not spitting/ burning oil, no performance loss. I'm just scared its gonna get worse. (Sorry about the preveous description, I didnt look into the sound enough). Any idea how much the harmonic balancer and labour will cost?
appricite the reply:w00t:

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
sorry bigwang no idea on the balancer $ or fitting ,
as for reliability , do a breaky for about 2-3 min and if nothing goes BANG then your pretty safe .....LOL only kiddin... could just be normal wear and tear maybe?

B

bigwang

I was thinking about the breaky for a while....... I went to about 8 different merchanics yestersay. Each had something different to say. 1 said the flexplate, 2 others said the tourque converter. I then went to 2 auto tranny exsperts and they said it was nothing to do with the box. The next one said piston 2 was shot and could jam at any time. The final merchanic said it could be air trapped somwhere??????. I ripped off the fan belt and just let the engine run under a little load and the sound seemed to stop. Could it be one of my pullies?? If 8 merchanics are stumpped what hope do i have!!!!!

Simdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
hey i had exactly the same thing in mine...my mechanic changed the pully tensior because the bearings once get hot started to make that knocking noise....problem solved...cheers

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Could also be the bearing in your water pump see if there is any movement in the shaft when you lift it up and down.

vracclaim2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
:bang: Mine makes an annoying rattle which I have been trying to solve for a month as well. Everyone thought it was the tourque converter or flex plate. So changed them, sound was still there. Got my car back today after I had the whole bottom end of the engine checked for shaft play. Noise still there. Is it like a rattle? or just a knock?. Mines driving me nuts, I might try the pully tensioner but my rattle sounds like its coming from the back of the engine/gearbox.