Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto hard changing second time in drive

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
Hey guys and girls,

Had this VS Series 2 exec for four weeks. It has started to be a bit rough usually when it is under 3000 rpm. This is the second gear change in drive or 3rd. So first change is alright then the next one seems grip making it feel "a bit" rough. Anyone had a similar problem and can you get VS auto's repaired? Haven't thrashed the car but the harder I drive the better it goes just when trawling traffic? Also it's just had a service guy said he found some metal in the bottom (he was trying to stiff me $950 to fix it but couldn't say what was wrong).

Thanks,

Spaced

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
Hi spaced .
Sounds like the torque converter ( im no expert ) if its doing it at around the 75-85 Km/h , I had a 95 model vs and when cruising at that speed (around 80) it would feel like another gear change and feel like it was running on 4 pistons until i gave it some gas.. i replaced the torque converter and it was fine. Did you look for any error codes ? by the way which state you located spaced. if in melbourne i know someone you could get it checked out at.

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
thanks for your reply man unfortunately I'm in brissie. I'll check the error codes over the weekend and let you know what I come up with but thanks again man.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
are you talking about when car shifts into from 2nd into 3rd??cos mine is a bit sloppy u could say 2nd into 3rd.

id be looking into why there is metal in the bottom of sump...doesn't sound too healthy???

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
this is when it goes from second to third in drive if that makes sense. Can auto VS gearboxes be repaired?

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
Yes they can .... and very very nice they can be if built by the right people....

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
if you've got metal in the bottom of your pan, the tranny is stuffed. you're up for a rebuild, either that or a new one. $1500 - $2k. things will just get worse from here on in, i'd drive it til it's fully stuffed though.

MBS206

Reaction score
Start putting the dollars away, and keep driving it.

Wait until you can't get a gear or two, and THEN get it rebuilt. Saves you some money, and gets you more time on the current box.

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
always go for a second or third opinion. a reputable auto shop should a a fair idea whats wrong just by driving it.