Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tailshaft...

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
hey guys just got a mechanic diagnose my car with a 'fuked tailshaft' so to speek. seems the last guy got it fixed but did a dodgy job and now has caused further problems! iv also got a buckled wheel (thats may bad...dam curbs). any one else had a problem with there tailshaft?? whatd it cost you to fix if you have had any?
cheers fellas.

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
yer tailshafts are fun

some mechanics will just change the front or back section of the tailshaft, or the unis without rebalancing the shaft

a balanced shaft including the centre bearing costs anywhere between 250-380 for the part, and maybe 1-2 hours of labour.

its actually not a hard job, just fiddly if you dont have a hoist

if it wasnt balanced properly it will chew out either - centre bearing, slip yoke, pinion, unis or a combination of all

eventually a uni will probably snap and leave u going nowhere in the middle of the road

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
yeh lol, bout that ;) um yeh my center pin is ****ed big time! not good, but yeh i got quoted about 50o and sumin for new one and labour.

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
yer if that is rooted, it will cause vibration, my VK had that issue, i got the centre bearing replaced for about 160, but they never balanced it, so one day the slip yoke transformed from a yoke to a twisted lump of crap and left me stranded in pt. adelaide at night, fending off kids trying to steal my car

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
lol, now that bad LUCK! yeh im not lookin 4wd 2 spendin the cash put its gota b done cause is PISSING me of big time! the grindnig is friggin awfull.

geardys

GEARDY
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 v8 ute 5sp
i got mine fixed at hardy spicer for around 420. that included a new centre bearing, fully balanced, painted and new tubing seeing as though i snapped it in half. well more like it twisted in half and littered the road with sparks and S%$t.
got it back better then new. the bloke said 'try and brake it now' with a smile on his face.
it broke without warning and i have never done a burnout, but we put it down to a stuffed centre bearing . oh well
he also said that the std tail shafts are good for 450hp and 12,000 rpm.
if u have ramps and can get it out it helps keep the cost down.
cheers

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
yeh sounds like u gota a good deal... could u drive yours after it bent?? i can still drive myn but once you go past 80km/h itl make a grinding noise and the car shuderrs :(